How to make my dogs happy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

veener88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Northern IL
Well as my lost post stated I bougt a hog at the county fair and my local butcher is getting it set for us. But I did not forget about the dogs. For them I have the ears, snout, feet, and skin all coming for them.

What I just do not know how to do yet is how to make them rawhides. I have a few weeks before I get the hog to figure this out. The stock yard got slammed so it might be a week or more befor my butcher gets it.

I am just wondering does anyone have any tips or ideas for this? Before you think this is a little nuts if you have dogs thing how much it costs a lb for rawhides. I was thinking it can be over $15 a lb or more.

Thanks,

I have had the same problem in the seach. I did find out one thing that many rawhides use chemicals to make them last like they do and they do not break down in the track of the dog. What I think I am going to do is try to make them like jerky. I figure I have about 10-20lbs of skin to play with over time. I do think with the fat content it could have they will have to be cooled or frozen I do not think they will have a long self life because of moisture but again it will be a try and see thing.

What I am going to do is just play with the idea and write down notes and take pictures as I go and if I hit on something I will post it up. That way maybe I can show how you can make treats for your pup while making dinner for yourself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky