How to light a AMNPTS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom 178

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
Vegas
I just got a AMNPTS , some pellets and a Maverick 732 from A-MAZE-N Products. They got here real quick. I am going to season the tube tonight. I read that to light it you should use a torch. I do not have a torch :( Do you really need a torch or is there another method for lighting it? If you do need a torch anybody know what works well so I can go get one?

I want to go get a Boston Butt to smke friday also and give these new things a try.

Tom

I have the a-maze-n dust smoker, and original I had gotten the little butane torch to light it. However, that died when I refilled the butane. So, I got a hand held propane torch, which works splendidly.  I'm sure such a torch would work for the pellet smoker version also.

When smoking with charcoal I have just filled the tube with pellets 4/5 full then add a white hot piece of coal to the top of the tube. Let sit a few minutes then put in smoker. 

Stan

Thanks! I see a cheap one at Lowe's that looks close to the one you pictured. I'll go get it after work. I have an electric smoker so hot coals are not something I have around alot.

I like to use the "Fat Boy".

It holds more gas, and doesn't fall over as easy as the tall skinny one.

Both kinds are "Bernzomatic" torches.

mxVKoHddJT8B8L9kQ76mGrA.jpg

4 Photos

[h3]BERNZOMATIC "DISPOSABLE" PROPANE FUEL CYLINDER - 17.4 OZ/497 G (1.08 LBS.) - NEW[/h3]

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I got the one pictured above at Lowe's for ~$15.00 it works ok. The AMNPTS works great I am on my second load of pellets in the little six incher. First load smoked great for two hours, second load has gone for an hour and I'll let it go for another.

To speed up the lighting you can use a hair dryer on low air to fan the fire. I can have min ready in around a minute. Also I got their bigger one also. So for long smokes I can use it and get six hours or use the small one for shorter smokes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky