How to get smokey flavor from my 'Old Smokey"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

extexan

Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
I previously had an old Redi-Smoke & asked for a new smoker for a present (more like a Bradley or at least the Cajun). My family got me a 'Old Smokey', which is just the newer version of what I had.

This one at least has a temp adjustment; however, I am still having the problem of too much steam & not enough SMOKEY FLAVOR (and it states not used any liquid). I brought a thermometer to add, as I personally think it's totally missing the 'slow cook'...even at the lowest temp. I thought I had read previously about someone drilling holes for better smoke; but, I can't find the info.

I really like a crust & smoke ring, but nothing comes close. Since I no longer live in Texas, I crave Texas style brisket. The last time I cooked it, I blackened the brisket on the grill, which was an improvement. However, I smoke (or at least try) chicken, pork, cornbread, etc. Pls HELP!

i had bad luck with using that smoker it works fine for smoking chili's or smoking lobster or shrimp since it steams everything. don't use it for anything else. i use mainly for making chipotle peppers. and since it steam everything your not going to get a smoke ring or a crust. you can try to make some vents for the smoker on the lid that might do the trick.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky