• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How to get more smoke out of MB propane vertical smoker!

aiwa101

Joined Nov 12, 2020
Hey everyone i recently picked up a masterbuilt adventure series 30 inch thermo-temp propane smoker. I couldn't get much smoke from it so i moved the wood chip bowl to directly on top of the heat dissipator. After about 30 mins i noticed the white acidic smoke that you don't want filling up the smoker. I then saw people use a cast iron skillet and i tried that and put it in the tray for chip bowl which is in the door. No change in terms of amount of smoke so i then put it on the heat dissipator directly above the flame and no change either. Any tips or input would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I use a tray smoker and leave the bottom door cracked open for air. Put the tray with pellets on the bottom shelf in the smoker part.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Do a search for a-maze-n trays. You smolder pellets in them. Great for this and for cold smoking

Cabo

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 10, 2019
I have the 40" thermotemp and have no trouble getting thin blue smoke. I use only chunks (not chips). Chunks about the size of a deck of cards seem to do the best. I put one or two in the pan and they smoke for an hour or so depending on the temp of the smoker.
If that is not working for you, get a smoker tube that burns pellets. I put mine on the bracket that holds the chip pan close to the door so it is not over the burner. That will get you about 3 hours of smoke

aiwa101

Joined Nov 12, 2020
I have the 40" thermotemp and have no trouble getting thin blue smoke. I use only chunks (not chips). Chunks about the size of a deck of cards seem to do the best. I put one or two in the pan and they smoke for an hour or so depending on the temp of the smoker.
If that is not working for you, get a smoker tube that burns pellets. I put mine on the bracket that holds the chip pan close to the door so it is not over the burner. That will get you about 3 hours of smoke
which do you prefer? the chunks or smoker tube?

Cabo

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 10, 2019
I think chunks give better flavor. I really only use the tube on overnight smokes when I don't want to add chunks every hour

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.