How to decrease temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JustinLoos

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 17, 2020
Perrysburg, Ohio
Hi,

I’m new to stick burning and I would like advice on how to drop the smoker temp after I was to heavy handed with inserting more wood. I use a 20” Horizon offset smoker. It has a damper on the firebox and on the chimney. What are a few techniques to try?

F1E2CD6C-2F8A-4CA0-814B-330E893DDCC3.jpeg

If there is any air leaks in the firebox... temp control will be very frustrating .. If it was overstoked then the only way to lower temps would have been to pull some splits back out... Closing down vents will make it smolder and just put out an offensive amount of smoke ...

The only other thing I can say is... practice makes perfect... over time you will figure out what it likes to run at desired temps ...

I agree with pulling some of the wood. I'm not sure what temp you are shooting for or trying to maintain. When I had my offset, definitely not as robust as yours, I tried for a constant 300 degrees. Tough nut to crack. If I could keep the temp between 275 and 300 I was quite happy. And when adding wood, I kept the splits about half the length you have.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate the help. I was doing ribs and was aiming for 225 +\- 15 degrees. I was splitting those logs in 1/2 or 1/4s.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate the help. I was doing ribs and was aiming for 225 +\- 15 degrees. I was splitting those logs in 1/2 or 1/4s.
Were you splitting them to make them smaller diameter or cutting them in half? I’d try cutting in half or 1/4 length and keeping your fire as far away from the cook chamber as possible.

Just make sure to check on progress. Your temp gauge, like on my old offset, was at the opposite end of the cook chamber. So temps could be rather high near the fire box. Rib rotation was necessary in my case. At the temp you are smoking at, it may be less of an issue.

Reactions: JustinLoos
Just make sure to check on progress. Your temp gauge, like on my old offset, was at the opposite end of the cook chamber. So temps could be rather high near the fire box. Rib rotation was necessary in my case. At the temp you are smoking at, it may be less of an issue.
I monitor the grate temp in two areas, the meat temp, and then gave the gauge temp that’s on the offset smoker. So I’m monitoring 4 areas. Checking and recording each temp every 30 mins. Just because I’m very new to this way of cooking. Try to learn from each cook.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Personally, and this is a whole other subject perhaps, but I think 225 is too low. I do ribs at 275. either way, you can move your logs further right in your firebox. Also, try separating them, as that will lower the friction between them and reduce the size of the flames. If you have a way, you can also use some of the ashes to choke off some of the coals without causing smoldering.

Whatever you do, don't close the damper on the exhaust. Always leave that wide open. Looks like a nice smoker. My first smoker was an offset stick burner, big learning curve, at least for me.

ok I wasn’t manipulating the chimney damper at all. It was kept wide open. I was closing the firebox damper to prevent oxygen inflow when my temps where higher then I wanted. It seems I should just add less wood next time.

Reactions: flexster
Personally, and this is a whole other subject perhaps, but I think 225 is too low. I do ribs at 275. either way, you can move your logs further right in your firebox. Also, try separating them, as that will lower the friction between them and reduce the size of the flames. If you have a way, you can also use some of the ashes to choke off some of the coals without causing smoldering.
Thanks! A lot of helpful input!

Reactions: Displaced Texan
Modify your Fire Box... Install upper air inlets.... What that allows you to do is......
Use the lower air inlet to regulate the temp of the fire...
The upper inlet allows for cool air to enter the Cook Chamber....
Works awesome.... Takes a bit of creative thinking....

FB air flow diagram 2.jpg ... Smoker Exh and Intakes 2.jpg

Modify your Fire Box... Install upper air inlets.... What that allows you to do is......
Use the lower air inlet to regulate the temp of the fire...
The upper inlet allows for cool air to enter the Cook Chamber....
Works awesome.... Takes a bit of creative thinking....

View attachment 472123...View attachment 472124
Impressive, did you make them yourself?

I agree with pulling some of the wood. I'm not sure what temp you are shooting for or trying to maintain. When I had my offset, definitely not as robust as yours, I tried for a constant 300 degrees. Tough nut to crack. If I could keep the temp between 275 and 300 I was quite happy. And when adding wood, I kept the splits about half the length you have.
I would consider this. Once you have a goo coal bed, I would think one efficiently burning log would keep the 225 you said you are looking for. Maybe two. But, you didn't say how much wood you were adding besides being heavy handed.

Adding cool air, above the fire, does 2 things......
Cools the FB and helps to consume creosote before it gets to any meat you have in the CC....
Try the mod... Many folks have found it a good thing....
It takes awhile to learn how many splits to add to the FB...

Its really hard for me to run my OC Brazos at 225. It takes a tiny fire. I use the Brazos to reverse sear steaks and try to keep my cook chamber temp at 200*, and man, its a battle.

Now that said, I can shoot for 250 and once the coal bed is built, run it between the 225 to 250.

The quickest way I know to temporarily lower your temp is just pick up the cook chamber door and burp it. That will buy you some time , which I use to pull splits off the fire. I keep a Behrens bucket below the FB and drop the lit splits in and put the lid on the bucket.

Yes I prefer my splits to be about 10 to12" long. I find this size is easier to manage in the firebox.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky