How should i layer wood chunks in a Big green egg type smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brad611

Original poster
Apr 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

Im going to be cooking a beef tenderloin soon on my Primo Ceramic smoker, and will be using wood chunks for the first time.

I was wondering what ratio of wood chunks to charcoal i should use? Is Half charcoal, Half wood chunks a good ratio? Or would that be too much wood?

Thanks

In my kamado I use about 4 pieces of 1*1-1/2*4 cherry plank I have cut up placed in to the charcoal. As the charcoal burns it lights up the wood pieces. I also use cookies of pear or apple limbs I've made with the bandsaw and just split them into pieces about 1/2 fist size and bury them in the charcoal. It doesn't take a lot of wood to get some smoke.

Old sarge weighs his for his electric Smokin it. I started the same thing. 6oz in many pieces. If I light 10 briquettes in my Akorn and drop in the center of the grate and surround those with 20 unlit, that gives me 24 hours at 250°F. I'll spread chunks, long chips/tiny splits over the burning not burning charcoal edges and the rest over/inbetween unlit charcoal. I'll put a small piece right on the lit coals then stack the bottom grate, 15" pizza stone, drip pan, top grate, therms and meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky