How much would you charge for jerky?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Around here it is selling for 18 to 22 bucks a pound, this from butcher shops, they get meat far cheaper than you would, ( I am assuming this of course).

I have 20 pound of london broil cut up and soaking in the fridge now, I had to by 23 pound to get 20, with loss from trimming and the moisture that gets soaked up in the little diapers under the meat.

Also have 7.5 pounds of chicken tenders soaking, had to buy 9 pounds to get 7.5 to use.

London Broil was 3.99 pound

Chicken Tenders were 2.29 pound.

This won't get made into jerky until later in the week, I will weigh once done.

Just remember  that it's easier to lower your prices than to raise them!!!!

Based on the price our local "Smoke Shop" charges, I should be able to sell all I could make for $30.00 per pound.  Their stuff, at $25.00 per pound, just doesn't measure up. 

Finished up mine yesterday,

again 23 pound to get 20 usable london broil 3.99 #  $91.77

used a cabelas kit   $8.00

Took maybe 35 minutes to cut it up and season, left in bottom of fridge, mixing once a day for 6 days

20 minutes to load the dehydrator and slightly over 7 hours later it is done.

Got 8# of jerky cost for just ingredient was $12,47 per pound, you can see the amount of time involved and you may want to add because my girlfriend was here to help

The people I made this for loved it.

The chicken was in the seasoning for 5 days and in the dehydrator for 11 hours.

Had 28.61 in the stuff for the chicken not much prep time, 9# on meat to get 7.5 usable ended with just over 4#

the chicken ended up costing $7.15 per pound to make.

neither one have had time or electric usage, or a rate for equipment usage added in.

Also I incurred an additional $104.00 cost as my girlfriend decided she would like to find out what happens when you feed the little metal tong down through the blade of the Cabelas jerky slicer attachment for my grinder, that is the cost to fix the 200.00 slicer I bought for halp price 2 years ago.

I personally feel you would lose your shirt at selling for $5.00 per half pound. With the weight loss from drying and shrinkage, I only get at best 60% Jerky out of my raw meat purchase, Throw in the spices and a hell of a lot of work & attention, you won't make hardly any profit.

Here in the Seattle area, Good Jerky goes from $13.95 to $18.00 per pound.

dougmays........

I thought about this a few years ago also.............

Do you own a house?

Keep in mind, the liability piece!  If somebody even thinks they got sick from product you made and sold to them............it can be costly!!

dougmays........

I thought about this a few years ago also.............

Do you own a house?

Keep in mind, the liability piece!  If somebody even thinks they got sick from product you made and sold to them............it can be costly!!
tsulcoski thanks for the advice...right now i'm only selling to friends and family while i get my procedure and recipes down, but this is definitely something i thought about.  i talked to a good friend of mine who is a CPA and he is having me incorporate myself so that if something were to happen, legally they could only go after the corporation and not me personally.  since the house or anything else important to me is not owned by the corp i think i'm pretty well covered.

eventually if this thing because a full time money make i would take the next steps to be commercially certified.  i'm going to talk to a lawyer friend also about this matter

I dont ever sell my stuff,  I will gift a lil out here and there to close family and friends as a thank you for something or just out of graditude or gift.  I have people all the time wanting me to make and sell jerky, bacon and sausage or  pay me to make bbq for an event and I say no.  I dont mind doing it on occasions at my own leasure but I am in no way set up or have time to provide a service or take orders for it.   As for me it takes a lot of time effort money and work just to make our personal stuff for our household,  I dont think you can put a price on it

I've been selling my jerky for 20 years @ $5.00 for 3 ounces and that covers my spices,meat and time...

I make and sell jerky at a flea market and at $2 per ounce (2.5 ounces for $5 to be specific), it flies off the table. Of course, could be different where you live. People where I'm at love a hearty snack while they browse the various vendors of junk and treasure and since most of them are country folk, they love jerky.

I agree with Nepas.  I looked into selling my Cajun seasoning.  Here in NY we have the worst business climate in the country.  The regulations make it prohibitive.  Government needs the recipe to make sure it's safe for consumption, than better have insurance if someone should get sick, packaging, setting up website for selling, etc.  Most colleges or municipalities have offices to assist anyone wanting to start a small business.  Check them out, as the one I went to had a lot of good info and was very informative on how to do it to protect yourself.  Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky