How much wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shorty

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Johnstown Pa
Hiw much wood do you pput in your wood pan for smoking. I will mostly be using wood chunks just about fist size or smaller. Should I fill the pan or just use a couple at a time?

If I remember, you have a GOSM. I would put one fist size chunk in the box. Two if they are smaller. Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

I start with one large and one smaller chunk along with 2-3 chips to start with thinking that the chips will start smoking first. Once every 1 to 1-1/2 hours I will add a medium size chunk.

I put 2 or 3 fist size or close chunks but my fists are propably alot smaller.
tongue.gif

When I saw the title of this thread ("How much wood"), my initial reaction was to post "could a woodchuck chuck..."
icon_wink.gif

Instead, I'll ask a question: I've got an MES and have been using wood chips and adding more every 30 to 45 minutes. Would using bigger hunks - I've seen people referring to fist-sized pieces - work better? I assume they'd reduce the frequency with which I have to add more wood.

low n slow, I'm panting waiting for the delivery of my mes and apparently the thing to do is put a cast iron skillet on the element and put chunks in that.

Low & Slow -

They last longer and tend to smolder nice and slow. I've gotten by with just adding once or twice in a 6 to 8 hour smoke.

If you look at thr wod pan you can see 2 hunks of wood about the size of 3 inch 2x4's . These lasted me about 4 hours.

59cab505_vbattach12425.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky