how much $ per pound for brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brett_s

Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
sheboygan WI
How much do you guys pay per pound for a whole untrimmed brisket? I can't find it around here for under $4.00 a pound, and that seems awfull pricey to me.

I always make pork and chicken, but I really want to try to make a brisket. But at that price, it's pretty hard to experiment with.

Thanks,
Brett

I saw it at $3.89 last week and nearly had a heart attack.

Brett, I am somewhat familiar with the Sheboygan/Kohler area, but not enough to know if there is a Costco or Sam's Club nearby.

Costco here in ChiTown runs about $2.49 for some pretty nice cryovac flats.

The price of brisket went up .30 cents a pound around here about two months ago, now we're paying $1.58 a pound.

Where are you looking?

At my local Wal-Mart, when they have it, it is now $1.58 a lb for whole packers. They use to be $1.28. Another local Wal-Mart only carries the flats, at $3.18 a pound.

A local meat market carries the whole packer for $1.99 a pound.

Keep looking and ask around.

Right now getting choice for $1.89 to $1.99 a pound but can get American Kobe for $2.79 to $2.99 a pound. Find the wholesaler and buy by the case.
Jim

Holy smokes! Those are some crazy prices. I just got back from Costco and their whole briskets were $1.38/pound. Hmm, maybe I should go stock up before the prices go up.

Ok, I have to rub it in....

I was at the local Wally World yesterday. We had to run in for a few quick items. Of course, I cruised the meat counter as usual.

I spotted a brisket packer marked down so I picked it up and tossed it in the buggy. I glanced back and another one was poking out from under another cut of meat. I nabbed it as well. I looked at the price (regular $1.58 per lb), and it was marked down to $1.11 per pound... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I looked some more, but couldn't find any, I was gong to get all I could at that price.... So, my freezer is now stocked for a while, as I had just got 4 at the $1.58 price, cooked one on Friday, and picked up 2 more.

It pays to keep your eyes open, and don't be bashful when they are marked down. I will grab a good buy anytime....

Bill

Wal-mart here sells brisket for $4.00and change.They can't keep it in the store.Sams isn't any cheaper.I wonder what everyone is doing with the briskets.
Bill

bwayne83, Welcome to Smoking Meat Forums! When you get a change head up to "Roll Call" and introduce yourself to the other members.

Thanks~

What we will find is brisket price will very based on where you live and the grade that is most available. Cattle country will normally have better prices.
Jim

The Full Packer Briskets I'm picking up for my Memorial Day Bash, are running $1.58/Lb. at Wally World. Jim Minion is correct, prices will always vary dependent on your locale and proximity to Cattle Country.

Jeff

Wow. At those prices, it's almost worth having a few whole briskets flash frozen, packaged and Fed'x to me. Does anyone know of any decent butcher shops that do this?

I'm almost afraid to ask what you guys pay for steaks. A decent New York Strip (not top shelf, just choice) is about $10 a pounds. If you want good beef, you are looking at nearly $15-20 a pound around here.

Hell, a cheap garbage grade chuck roast is about $4-5 a pound at the local grocerry store.

I wish I lived where I could afford to eat beef....Untill then it's chicken and pork.

Brett

Brett- There are lots of places out there now that are following in the tradition of Omaha Steaks and some are even affordable! Try a google search of Mail Order Beef and you'll find tons of sites that offer just what your looking for. Here is one that seems pretty decent and I've thought of using them a time or two for cuts that I can't seem to find here, http://www.mcleanbeef.com/ out of Nebraska. Do your research and I'm sure you'll find something in your price range that will make it easier to get beef on the table.

I have to say up north they ream us on Brisket on the cost. I have to hunt it down. Very little if ever do the stores have it. I have to go to a butcher shop. I will have to check out these online places. When I go to SE MO t meet up with some old friends I am taking a cooler and I hope at least $100 to get some meet in the freezer. My Sams have never has Brisket though.

I am not sure if this sale is for the Austin area only, but Albertson's has full packers for $.99/lb when you buy at least $10 dollars of other groceries.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky