How much of an opening between firebox and cook chamber?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

busmania

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 10, 2015
Centennial, co
I’m about to start a 24” x 54” cooking chamber with 24” x 24” firebox (round). I’m going with a 5” stack at grate level and possible build one of those fancy collectors I’m seeing everywhere for the exhaust. My question is, how much of an opening from the firebox to the cooking chamber should I have? Currently I’ve designed the firebox to sit just above the center point from the cooking chamber (11” from the top of 24” diameter tube). My thinking is smoke will just roll right across at about grate level. Is this too much opening? I see super tiny openings and really big openings on builds around here. Thoughts?

daveomak daveomak

He always says that feldons has a flaw in their formula related to fb -> cc openings but I can't remember the exact issue myself. He should be along at some point :-)

daveomak daveomak

He always says that feldons has a flaw in their formula related to fb -> cc openings but I can't remember the exact issue myself. He should be along at some point :-)

Feldon's uses the FB size to do all the calculations.... the Cook chamber is the determining variable when building a smoker and we use that number for doing all the calculations...
Basically Feldon's is a very good calculator... They assumed a few things that needed updating and we did that...

Reactions: fivetricks
Feldon's uses the FB size to do all the calculations.... the Cook chamber is the determining variable when building a smoker and we use that number for doing all the calculations...
Basically Feldon's is a very good calculator... They assumed a few things that needed updating and we did that...
Can you tell me where to find the updated calculator?

EDIT: found it the reverse flow section

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky