How much difference would 3/8th inch wall make vs 1/4th?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Landcrusher

Original poster
Jun 10, 2022
Hi,

I am looking at either getting a Workhorse 1975t or a Fatstack 120. Currently the two factors I am considering are the extra volume in the fatstack and the thicker wall in the Workhorse. I am wondering if anyone has any experience in cold weather with a 3/8th inch wall and a 1/4th inch. Wondering how much better it would be at holding heat in a windy, cold environment, which I live in for a few months out of the year.

Pretty simple question and if anyone could give input I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks!

My entire smoker is 3/8. Takes a few extra minutes to get to temp but then holds beautifully. Thicker steel takes longer to cool so if you live in cold weather and can afford it you should go for it

My entire smoker is 3/8. Takes a few extra minutes to get to temp but then holds beautifully. Thicker steel takes longer to cool so if you live in cold weather and can afford it you should go for it

Thanks! I thought as much, but wasn't sure how drastic the difference would be. What kind do you have?

The difference is about 50% :emoji_wink: Seriously, Jake has you covered. The 3/8" is gonna be a much more efficient cooker. Will hold temps longer and better with less fuel. If you can get by without major issues with the smaller capacity, you'll be far better off going with the thicker steel.

Robert

Reactions: TNJAKE and DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky