How much cure?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MeatSkull

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 4, 2018
On the range.
How much did I add?

Attachments

• 100_3926.JPG
    100_3926.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 27
You have noted yesterday, "1/4 tsp #1 or #2 per pound of meat depending on short or long curing, add whatever you want after that. Don't try to be a scientist and measure granules, just dumb".

On several occasions, you have argued accuracy is not necessary... So, what's your question...

You have noted yesterday, "1/4 tsp #1 or #2 per pound of meat depending on short or long curing, add whatever you want after that. Don't try to be a scientist and measure granules, just dumb".

On several occasions, you have argued accuracy is not necessary... So, what's your question...

Having just started the bacon making process, I tried to find a consistent recommended amount of curing salt to use. I finally settled on 1/8 teaspoon per pound for a dry cure. I made one batch of cure with 2 cups of brown sugar and 1-1/4 cups of salt, and a few other flavor items. I ended up using this one batch to cure 17 pound's of pork belly. Is the 1/8 teaspoon per pound a safe amount? I plan on trying the liquid brine next time, but just want to make sure I'm safe with the current batch.

1/8 tsp per pound is not safe if you go by the USDA recommended amounts...

How many times are you going to ask that ????
1 tsp. per 5#'s of meat.... get an electronic scale that has a range of 0-100 grams....
Then you can weigh the cure at 1.13 grams per pound or 0.25% the weight of the meat...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky