How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I got mine from Target.  Saved an additional 5% and got free shipping with my "Red" card.  Only complaint was that one of the corners on the smoker box had a ding in it.  No damage to the box though.  Doesn't affect the performance though either.
Yup-----Dent doesn't hurt----Much better than a bad controller or heating element.

You'll love it !!

Bear

Question for MES 40 with window owners...

Have any of you had a problem with the door cracking at the top around the screws? Mine has 2 pretty significant cracks which start around the screws in the top inside of the door and go up and over the top to the outside. I don't know if it's causing any kind of problem but I've had this smoker less than 6 months so I'm pretty annoyed. I do have some black Flex Seal and I was thinking of spraying some on a brush and trying to seal the cracks with that.

Thoughts...suggestions...help!?

Thanks!
I would give masterbuilt a call. There customer service is outstanding from what I have read.

I had a truly exceptional experience with them- I don't want to detail it because they did something that they did not have to even though my smoker was clearly out of warranty. Masterbuilt is a family company and even though the outsource abroad, they still act in the family tradition. 

They also probably want to know about that manufacturing defect, if they don't already.

Yup-----Dent doesn't hurt----Much better than a bad controller or heating element.

You'll love it !!

Bear
Thanks Bear.

I smoked a pork shoulder over the weekend and it came out okay for a hurried cook.  Next time I'll be better prepared and hopefully it'll be even better.  Will be sure to do some "Q-View" as well.

I've got the 30 with the window from Home Depot. Love it for chicken, got the Masterbuilt smoke generator attachment for salmon and other low temp stuff. I recently got very good reviews from a couple old timers who have both always used charcoal. So proud.

I have only had my MES for a month or so. Only complaint is it seems to cook to fast. I put chicken on at 215 and it is done in less 2 hours. Same thing with ribs. Am presently smoking baby back ribs right now and put temp at 210degrees. Will see how they do.

I've had mine for about a month now - 30" digital w/Window.  From QVC.  Everything that has come out of it so far  - 2 butts, a whole loin, 3 racks of ribs, has been DELICIOUS!  Couldn't be much happier with it.

Reactions: dannyubc
sounds like your internal temp gouge is not giving you an accurate reading you should add another temp gauge to see if the gauges are in synk.

if they read the same and you would like a longer cook time just lower the temp of the oven. match the internal temp of the meat by the time of cook to = the set oven tempature

Love my 30" so far.  Have done chicken, ribs, butt, & 2 brsikets in it.  Had to replace the controller after 2nd use.  Great cust service and new one seems fine.  

I ran into a guy the other day wheeling one out of Lowes.  I told him "You're gonna love that smoker"  He said  "I know, I wore my other one out after 5 yrs and a million pounds of meat"...  These things should be named  "smoking for idiots" as they are about as idiot proof as a smoker can be.

Greg

I have the 30" and 40" with window I did 9 slabs of b/b ribs 40 drum sticks & 14 bacon rapped cheese dogs. Ribs 2hrs drumsticks 11/2 hrs dogs 1hr, I started every thing at the same time pulled dogs after 1hr chicken 11/2 hrs ribs 2 hrs. I had my 4 burner infrared grill on low 2 outside burners on put chicken above burners that were off dogs on top rack. I pulled ribs put chicken in a foil pan put ribs on grill all burners on low sauced ribs, 10min flip ribs add sauce every thing was ready 21/2 hrs later. I used 40" to do all great time,food 17 people MES only way to smoke and enjoy yourself. 2 friends have since bought 30"MES

I bought my 40" at Sams Club $299 love it

I got my MES 40 as a gift from my wife when I got back from my last deployment. I smoke meat all the time and I have never had a single issue with it. Best gift ever
icon14.gif

I have only had my MES for a month or so. Only complaint is it seems to cook to fast. I put chicken on at 215 and it is done in less 2 hours. Same thing with ribs. Am presently smoking baby back ribs right now and put temp at 210degrees. Will see how they do.
Do not trust the MES temperature display. Thanks to advice here I began using a separate therm with a probe which I first calibrated and then saw how the temp on the MES 30 digital Gen 1 (which is what I have) varies. I now use a Maverick ET-733 with twin probes (one for food the other for the interior temp) and I can now see at any given moment how the MES controller swings from the setpoint. The swings however, tend to average out to the temp set point that I chose. I usually have to increase or lower the temp by 10 degrees or so to keep the temp swing from going too low or too high but once I find that sweet spot--typically within the first 20-30 minutes of smoking--it's just set-it-and-forget-it after that. For example, if my target temp is 235* I will typically set the MES therm at 225* and set the ET-733 to warn me if the temp swings down to 220 or up to 250.

Last edited:
You've got one here and using it right now as we speak.  Memorial Day didn't turn out as well, but we'll see how my chicken turns out this time.  Will give you an update!!!

For the most part, love it.  I did purchase the "cold smoker" and it had to be replaced soon after purchase.  I waited for months, but the replacement unit is still working after several months.  I use a remote thermometer which seems to be a good idea.  The digital display, I have the unit with the one on the rear of the smoker, has lost a few bars.  Is it guaranteed for life?  I have had the unit for less than a year.  Does anyone know if they will replace it???

first of all what i do will probably void your warranty. but here goes. got mind from amazon for 175, i think, freight free about a month or so ago.  i have been very successful with my ribs, boston butts and chicken.  very good and very close to what i am use to down here in bar-b-q land. i personally like a lot of smoke although most say it is not needed. on the initial start up i will pull the chip tray from inside and put one chunk of hickory, two chunks of charcoal and sprinkle hickory chips over them and slide it back in. from that time on every time i add chips i will bust up a a chunk of charcoal and add  to it.  my kids were brought up on bar-b-q and now call me wanting to know when the next smoke is gonna be. as a disclaimer i don't recommend this method and if i cause any damage with my unit i will be up front with MES and not make any warranty claim on the failed part.    

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky