1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How many also Homebrew

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mcoppin, Mar 12, 2007.

1. I am new to the forum, but was wondering how many also homebrew. I brew my own wine and beer and know a lot of fellow home brewers who also like to smoke meats. I have also been making my own sausage for years, but have tended to make most of it fresh. I was afraid to smoke sausage, because I was not sure what I was doing and did not want to ruin a whole 50# batch. I am glad to find this forum where I can get anwers when I need them.

2. payson

payson Meat Mopper

3. Back when I used to partake, I made my own beer, wine and shine. Gotta be careful with the shine though. Feds still don't like us to make that without a permit.

4. O yea i`m a homebrewer ~ only smoking a few months, gosh i love it !!!

5. johno

johno Smoke Blower

i used to make a lot of fruit wines , have'nt done any for a few years though , thye are fun to make but do take a lot longer than beer , i have done beer too , wine making is more fun than beer , my wines caused quite a few hangovers in our kittke town over the years , even the local sergant of police and his wife got fall down drunk more than once no my pawpaw and banana wine , and or pineapple wine .when my dad was still alive he made a couple of deadly brews potato wine , and beetroot wine.

6. t-bone tim

t-bone tim Master of the Pit OTBS Member

hell yeah,I brew wine for the mrs,and some beer also....love to make sausage and thought Id join here to learn and do a little smokin !

7. bigal

bigal Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I was gonna get into home brew, until I tasted a friends "home brew". For the price of home brew, I figured in the price of toilet paper too. I'd be better off drink'n the cheapest beer made and pretend that it is my "brew". Every time I even think of it, I reach for toilet paper!

Good way to clean a colon................and a toilet too!

8. interesting you should ask, i've been looking into making small batch whiskey. oh the legal hoops one must jump.

mike

9. Been homebrewing for close to 20 years. Started because I like microbrews and imports and at the time I couldn't get anything but domestics in ND. I have made several really good beers and just as many like BigAl was talking about (TP quality). The good ones are really good however. Now I can get tons of great beer to accompany bar-b-que food, so I don't brew as much beer. I do lots of wine because of a huge supply of fruits my dad gives me.
    Like home brewing, I am getting into smoking because I have tasted some really good bar-b-que when traveling and I want to be able to do that. I want to make bar-b-que like I had in Texas and make smoked sausages that will really "WOW" people.

10. monty

monty Master of the Pit Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have enjoyed brewiing my own. Brewed for about five years. Came to a screeching halt when the papers were served. Then all the equipment went out on a yard sale I was unaware of. Plan on doing more soon. Just gotta figure out how to work it in to everything else! And I had some smashing good successes as well as some "bowl fillers" too!

Cheers!

11. smoked

smoked Master of the Pit OTBS Member

it's been a while, but been thinking of dusting off the ol equipment and firing up to get that wonderful wort smell going on again....[​IMG]

12. payson

payson Meat Mopper

13. smoked

sweet......I'm really gonna have to hit the storage unit and dig all my stuff out......then tell the little lady I need to reconfigure the garage fridge to hold my corny kegs...... [​IMG]

14. payson

payson Meat Mopper

15. smoked

now that's a kegarator!!!!! and here I only have 2 of them corny's!!!! [​IMG]

16. Payson that is awesome. If you don't mind approx how much did that cost?

17. payson

payson Meat Mopper

I don't mind at all:
    *Each tap with shank, handle, beverage hose and connector was about $50.00.
    *Add about another $7.50 for the cornelius keg attachment.,
    *$35.00 for each keg (roughly)
    *CO2 Tank was about $90
    *Regulator is about $40
    *CO2 distribution block (5 ports) was about $45
    *Fridge was a freebie!

It's kind of pricey initially but well worth it. Thankfully my wife loves homebrew too. :-)

18. Awsome Kegorator !!! I got the corny kegs just gotta get my s??? together and build still bottleing !! [​IMG]

19. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Legendary Pitmaster

mcoppin -

Nice to know we have so many home brewer here. I'm also into home brewing beer and find it very rewarding. I have 10, 5 gallon kegs and 11, 3 gallon kegs and right now I've been so involved with smoking most of them are empty!

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/microbrew.htm

It's amazing how many people would try it if they could find a small inexpensive setup to try in on - well they have em now!

Payson -

That's a nice kegerator! Great job!

[​IMG]

20. I actually have first time brewers brew with my equipment before they go out and buy their own equipment. I will let them borrow my equipment until they want to venture out on their own. I had a neighbor who worked for a soda company who gave me 5 pop kegs as well as CO2 tanks. For a while I had a friend who worked for a company which filled CO2 tanks and he wold fill my tanks for free.
    There also is a malting plant right outside of town that makes malt for several breweries. I know several of the guys that work out there and they will bring me huge bags of malt whenever I want. I usually use extracts and all grains so I don't take advantage of that too often.