how long

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Get the smoker about 50 degrees above where you want to smoke. When you add the meat the heat will reduce to near your actual smoke/cook temp. No real set time. All about smoker chamber temp.

I don’t wait. That’s a big waste of time and fuel. My meat always goes on the pit first then I build my fire. No wasted time and food comes out great. You can take your time putting the meat on with no smoke in your face. Try it

Notice zero smoke around the meat. That’s becuase there’s nothing in the firebox, fire got started 2 minutes later
5BB7C6B8-A662-4E9B-943C-05180B99EFB6.jpeg
now clean smoke will roll, the weed burner is the cleanest way to start a fire, clear or blue smok while starting
B77B8E83-BDF3-4DE5-9996-7789C984A833.jpeg

Reactions: dannylang
Danny on that Lang let it burn long enough to get a bed of coals going then start your smoke. Usually I use a weed burner to start the fire I keep the weed burner on the wood for about 5-10 minutes then leave the fire box door open so it burns good when I start getting a bed of coals going I close the firebox door and set the air intakes the way I want them brush the grates and put the meat in. If I need to steam to clean the smoker of course it takes longer to get the smoker hotter for the steam. If your Lang is like mine opening the door doesn't really affect temps mine doesn't go down a lot and recovers very fast

^^^^what pineywoods said. You want that wood to burn down a little past the white smoke stage of initial burn and to preheat the smoke chamber. Get a good bed of coals first.

Bbq does seem a little hard to mess up so I don’t think you can go wrong however you start it up. Some guys think oh I don’t wanna have to spend so much time on a stick burner but really it takes me 5 minutes or less to get cooking. I’ve already got my kindling cut up and weed burner is right there always keep a lighter on the end of my work bench.
FE2E5AC6-9A58-456A-AEF7-B5A2721BABF0.jpeg
FB483014-6484-4CF0-8B70-90BF7189B817.jpeg
White Oak and plum

I start the fire and once I have a bed of coals and TBS rolling then the meat goes on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky