How long should I expect a 4lb chuck roast to take?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MooseSpectacles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
New Jersey
Doing my first chuck roast this weekend and can't find how long to expect it to take per pound of meat, so I can plan ahead for the day. Anyone that can tell me how long to expect it to take per pound of meat? Thanks in advance

What are you planning to do with the chuckie? What equipment are you using? Any other info you can give might help. Gernerally though, the thicker the meat the longer to cook.

I would plan for about 8 hours. If it gets done early wrap it up tight and put it in a cooler or an oven that is turned off.

Last edited:
Might be your first chuckie but with many more to come. I have been smoking a lot of these for quite some time now. Slicing or pulling, you can't go wrong. I have been going a little hotter (275)with these in my smoker with a smoke tube going with it for more smoke. I like to put in a foil tin with about a cup of broth, instead of wrapping for some great juice to put back into the pull.

This is the only way I do my chucks now. I do 2 hours on my pellet grill set to high smoke and add a smoke tube. Let her go for 2 hours, sear the meat on the sear box then I put in foil pans and follow this recipe and put into the oven to finish. Oven set around 275-300... usually done in about 4hours. Best roast ever.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky