1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How long for a fatty?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by up in smoke, Aug 31, 2006.

1. How do ya get that wrapper off that fatty after it’s smoked?…just kidding!
    How long do they take? 165°? Do you guys rub em?

2. bwsmith_2000

bwsmith_2000 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Hello Carl,
    I usually put the fatty in for about 3 hours at about 225-250*. After an hour and a half, I turn it over. Have always turned out great. And by the way, I didn't use a rub. Some others may have better info on the rub.

And speaking of time in the smoker, I use a digital (Taylor) thermometer and measure the internal temp of the sausage. About 150 - 160* will take care of the doneness queation. Good eats!!!

3. icemn62

icemn62 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

A fatty is the perfect way to test a new rub. Think about it, the meat does not cost that much, and if it comes out horrible...You will not mind throwing it out.

P.S.
    I have NEVER thrown out a fatty for a bad rub.

4. doug123

doug123 Meat Mopper OTBS Member

Hi Carl,

I believe we have the same smoker.

I did mine without the water pan so it was hotter. I didn't think it would matter with the sausage, maybe it does.

Anyway, I did it for only an hour on each side.

Used my instant read thermometer after 2 hours and it was at 170, so I guess that was still too long.

If you didn't use the water pan, 45 minutes on a side would probably do it.

Make sure you take a reading though.

Happy belated birthday by the way :D

5. Geez, guess I'm still "stuck" in the '70s! My first thought was "It takes me about 5 minutes to smoke a fatty and the munchies are killer!" LMAO

6. Dutch

Dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

Rule of thumb for any ground meat product is to get the internal temp above 160*. Using a probe type thermometer is great for this. Depending on how hot your run your smoker, it can take as little as 1.5 hours or 3 hours.

Big Willy, These fatties will take care of those kind of "fatty" muchies for ya!! :mrgreen: