How Long Do Pellets Keep?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrq

Original poster
Aug 5, 2019
I'm a newbie. I'm about 10 pork butts , 12 racks of ribs, some trout and salmon into smoking.
I read on another thread about folks buying a lot of pellets when they come on sale.
Assuming they are kept out of the sun in a dry spot, a garage or vented shed in my case, how long will they keep? Dick's has a sale on today. Limited selection, but ~$8/20lbs.

Thanks
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14e9.jpg

as long as you keep them sealed up and dry a very long time

^^^What Jim Said ^^^
I got some 9 years old & still Like new, but never got wet. I keep them in a cabinet in my garage, in Half Gallon Screw top Jugs.

Bear

Some arsehole around here keeps burning them so I have to buy more lol, keep in a good container and may last forever till needed

It looks like your talking about pellets for use in a pellet smoker. If that's the case I would store them in your garage or shed on a wooden pallet. Away from moisture. I've got about ten bags of pellets stored in my garage on a skid(for my pellet stove) that are about 5 years old, and are still good to go.

Chris

I have some that are about 8 or 9 years old too, & they are still just like new. However before I use them I nuke them for a couple of minutes to make sure they are dried out. With all the humidity in Florida, even if stored in the house in sealed bags they still pick up some moisture.
Al

Only thing I'll add is don't set them on a concrete floor. As mentioned a pallet works but at the very least put a sheet of plywood or plastic between them and a concrete floor. I read where the cement will pull all the moisture out of the pellets and they will turn to dust if you don't. I've seen this for myself on a few pellets I dropped on the concrete floor. They just turn to dust.

I keep them in a big plastic storage box in our screened in patio behind the barn. No issues so far.

I'm down to the bottom row of bags sitting on a skid I bought 4 years ago, stored in a shed but not especially sheltered otherwise they see the worst of the heat, humidity and cold as the seasons change.

No issues at all, they still burn fine.

I'm down to the bottom row of bags sitting on a skid I bought 4 years ago, stored in a shed but not especially sheltered otherwise they see the worst of the heat, humidity and cold as the seasons change.

No issues at all, they still burn fine.

Just checking:
The only people I know who buy pellets by the pallet (Skid) are buying them to heat their house.
Now I'm not sure, but I guess those are OK for a Pellet Pooper Smoker, but I wouldn't use them for an Amazing Smoker Tray or Tube smoke generator.

Bear

Ive been being Lumber Jack pellets out of Wisconsin for about 4yrs I buy a ton at a time. Will not use anything else. Sell a lot to local friends. So I order every 6mo. Keep in shop and good to go.

Reactions: Steff3
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky