How long can I cure Canadian bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pmorton62

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
The reason for asking is the last Saturday in September I started curing 2 pork loins. I got them vacuum sealed. Then on may way to the family room level refrigerator I fell and ruptured the quadricep tendon in my knee. I was planning on curing for 2 weeks and then cold smoke, but surgery is this Thursday. I am currently in an immobilizer and after surgery I will be immobilized for at least another 6 weeks. I told my wife she will probably have to smoke it.

Check to see your fridge is below 38F... then have your wife throw them in the smoker the weekend of the 20th... If that won't work, let them finish curing... then throw in the freezer... rinsing at that point is OK.....

I'm in the "Let finish curing, and then freeze until you're able.

Sorry to hear about your injuries!!
Prayers sent !!

Bear

Reactions: daveomak
As an update, I cured them for 3 weeks, at which point I froze them until the first week of December. I thawed them and then smoked them. Turned out great. Also, as of Wednesday I am free of the brace and can descend stair almost normally. (I tell people the only time I am normal is when I am standing...if you ever had physics you should be laughing.) Ascending the stairs normally will have to wait until I gain more strength in my thigh muscle.

As an update, I cured them for 3 weeks, at which point I froze them until the first week of December. I thawed them and then smoked them. Turned out great. Also, as of Wednesday I am free of the brace and can descend stair almost normally. (I tell people the only time I am normal is when I am standing...if you ever had physics you should be laughing.) Ascending the stairs normally will have to wait until I gain more strength in my thigh muscle.

So I guess you're still on IR, and won't be suited up for the Super Bowl???

Glad you & your CB are doing Great !!

Bear

Reactions: pmorton62
I'm a Cleveland fan, so I guess I'll have to wait til next year. (That gets old saying that all my life.)

Reactions: crazymoon
Don't feel bad, I said that for 50 years!!!

I'm 56.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky