How long after rub?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcmuffin

Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Is there a maximum time you should wait after you apply the rub to a pork shoulder? I put mustard and rub on my shoulder yesterday afternoon in the expectation that I would be doing it this morning, but now I have a conflict that might prevent me from doing it. If I wait and do it tomorrow, will it be OK? It's wrapped tight in plastic wrap and in my fridge.
If I wait it'll have been about 38-40 hours from the time I added the rub until I start cooking it.

I'm sure you'll be fine. As long as it was rubbed in a clean environment and kept at around the 38-40 degree mark I don't see a problem :{) A high acid maranade or injection might be a different story tho... you can turn a hunk of meat to mush with too long a time.

Things worked out... Shoulder is on now. Thanks for the advice anyways though, as I'm sure this may come up again. It ended up in the wrap for about 16 hours and smelled SOOOO good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky