How I start and use my WSM....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i've used the minion method for a long time. last time i was outside i came up with a new way to start my smoker. takes less time and less prep. 

i fill the WSM with fuel and wood. i take 2 paraffin cubes and put them in the center and move 3 coals just around it. light the cube and let it flare up. in a few minutes i set the center section on the cooker. once i see smoke really rolling i put the entire cooker together and let her warm up. this cuts warm up time by at least 15 minutes...

Pardon my imposition as well.

I got the one for my mini wsm at Lowes as well. I think mine was $7.99 or so. The bigger ones are a little more but none of them are very pricey. Pictured is Item #: 94461 at Lowe's. It's a 16 1/4" unglazed saucer. It's under $16.

Last edited:
Aha.  I presume one could use lighter fluid in place of the "white chocolate".  Also, I guess using a chimney is faster than simply squirting fluid onto briquettes in the bottom of the cooker.  Then, once the charcoal is lite in the chimney it gets dumped put into the bottomless can in the middle of the briquettes/wood mixture in the bottom of the WSM.  This can is removed and the combustion moves slowly out towards the edges which gives a slow, consistent heat source.  I appreciate your information.

Aha.  I presume one could use lighter fluid in place of the "white chocolate".  Also, I guess using a chimney is faster than simply squirting fluid onto briquettes in the bottom of the cooker.  Then, once the charcoal is lite in the chimney it gets dumped put into the bottomless can in the middle of the briquettes/wood mixture in the bottom of the WSM.  This can is removed and the combustion moves slowly out towards the edges which gives a slow, consistent heat source.  I appreciate your information.
If you're gonna use lighter fluid, then you don't need the chimney.

That's the purpose of the chimney...to avoid the fumes, taste and toxins of the fluid.

You do not have to use the cubes, newspaper is the most commonly used medium for starting the chimney.

Most people use the cubes because they burn long and clean with no ash.

The rest of the concept, you have right.

Last edited:
I think it may have been mentioned before, but it bears repeating. If you have a gas BBQ with a side burner, starting a full chimney of charcoal (briquettes or hardwood) is easy. Just set the chimney on top of the side burner and heat over high flame until the charcoal is burning vigorously. No muss, no fuss. 

Reactions: maloff28
You'll definitely notice a taste difference once you don't use the lighter fluid or match light charcoals. I'm not an old timer yet and am still learning. I used to use lighter fluid too until I saw someone use a chimney. Now that's all I use. I used to always use newspaper with the chimney, but now I use the lighter cubes because they leave no ash behind and they are cheap

This may have already been asked and answered so I am sorry if I am repeating. Does this work for the 22.5 as well? Any modifications required?
Yes...more charcoal. 
biggrin.gif

Other than that, the methods be the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: maloff28
I always light my Weber platinum with a Looft Lighter, so no ash, no toxins and a lot quicker.  I am about to take delivery of a 22 WSM and plan to use the Looft on that as well.  By the way folks, this is a brilliant thread for WSM newbies like me!!

Kirton :)

Reactions: sn3rt
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky