How I plant tomatoes.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
It has been suggested that stripping all the leaves up to about the top three is best... Then lay the stem and root ball in a trench.. Doing so allows roots to grow along the stem providing more nutrition for the plant...
Well, sometimes you can't bend the stem correctly, without breaking it, to get the plant pointed upright...
MHP gardener (U-Tube) found a solution to this problem from one of his readers and I'm passing it on with pictures....

Lay the plants, in their container, on it's side for about 2 days outside in the sun....
The tomato plant will reach for the sky and make planting easy....

Here are my 4 tomato plants I stripped the bottom leaves from and set on my BBQ... Yesterday, or the day before.. CRS is a big problem anymore....

DSCF0285.JPG

DSCF0286 (2).JPG

When planting, the trench should be no more than 2.5-3" deep.. That will allow for oxygen to get to the stem and new root growth..... Dig a small pocket for the root ball to sit in comfortably... fill and pack the trench with some pressure, so the soil contacts the stem well... Water well....

Yep...here's a few more....
I also plant them in a shallow depression, then as the vine grows, I snip more leaves out and replace the soil in the depression. I get a second flush of roots this way. Then, I'll trim the leaves again and mound the soil around the stem up 4-5 more inches....giving a third flush of roots. My stem bases are always larger 1 inch in diameter doing it this way.

Oh- put 1-2 eggs in the planting hole. cover with 1-2 inches of soil, then put the plant in. it'll give enough nitrogen for the first 4-6 weeks....

1 baby aspirin (crushed into powder)in 2 qts. of water....spray on transplants every week. The salicylic acid is a plant hormone that kicks the immune system into overdrive. the plant thinks it is under attack and makes changes to the plant sap which make it bitter. Thus when real pests attack it, they are unsuccessful.

Reactions: daveomak
What is the benefits in the end? I like the idea, but does it make more, or better tomatoes?
More roots=more fruits

Tomato is a vine. All those tiny hairs on the stem will grow roots when in contact with the soil. the above tips are how I get 30-40# of large tomatoes per determinate plant....

Another tip- when your first tomatoes are about the size of a quarter, give them some potassium. I use potassium sulfate...about 1 TBSP. per plant 12" from the base in a circle. The Potassium kicks the nutrient absorption into over drive, It also makes the fruits sweeter. For every 330# of tomatoes your garden produces, they consume 1# of potassium which will need to be replaced. I run the ash from my smokehouse through my compost pile...137grams of potassium per kilo of ash. The compost takes care of the pH....

Last edited:
Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I thought indaswamp indaswamp note about aspirin was interesting.. So I looked it up..
Here's one gardeners information... Seems the nightshade family reacts to this treatment...

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky