How I light my AMNPS w/ video link

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scootermagoo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 2, 2011
Algoma, WI
I have a link to my youtube video of me lighting my AMNPS.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nice video, Scooter!!!

Awesome way of lighting it fast !!!

I accomplish the same thing, but it takes me a lot longer.

I light it with my torch, and then blow on it every few minutes, in the direction of the bottom of the unburned pellets, until I get a real deep, good sized cigar-like cherry going. This could take up to 20 minutes, but that occurs while I am also doing other things too..

Then & only then is it ready to put in the smoker.

The way you light yours, and the way I light mine, makes it stay lit until we either put it out, or it runs out of fuel. I am always telling people how to light it, because most people don't get it lit properly before they put it in the smoker, and then it goes out on them.

I could never emphasize enough getting it lit properly in the first place, if people want it to keep smoking.

Thanks,

Bear

Great video, Scott!

I don't have one of those cool heat guns (Tool Envy!), so like Bear,  after I get it going nicely with a torch, I just blow on mine until I have that nice hot cherry.  Then, just for good measure, I'll hit it with the torch again to ensure it's really, Really red-hot.  Always takes me at least 10 minutes before I'm convinced its ready to go in the smoker.

Red

Last edited:
Ever have issues with the adjacent row catching fire while lighting?
Nope, there is enough separation in the tray that it's not a problem.

EDIT:  I did have it jump rows from an overenthusiastic lighting recently.  The cure: fill the starter row, then light.  Once it's started, fill up the remaining rows.

Last edited:
After seeing your video i bought a cheap wagner heat gun today.  Had an issue at first with the second row of pellets starting to ignite which im sure was due to me having to much fun with the heat gun.  Worked really well to get the amnps lit quickly and reliably!

Nice idea. I'm going to have to get me one of those heat guns. The propane torch alone doesn't always do it.

Love it Scott!  Great job on the video.  I especially enjoyed the popups commenting on the narrative, etc.  Nicely done.

Additionally, I really like the name of your smoker although I'm sure it has some folks flashing back or going into anti-drug mode but I take it for what it is...a great play on words (a pun for you English majors)

Super!

Bill

finally going to use my amnps in my mes30 Saturday to smoke a turkey and am using your video for my first lightoff. I hope to be posting the most awesome review ever on  Sunday for Todd's product........Any videos on converting an MES40(new) to permanent pellet use?

finally going to use my amnps in my mes30 Saturday to smoke a turkey and am using your video for my first lightoff. I hope to be posting the most awesome review ever on  Sunday for Todd's product........Any videos on converting an MES40(new) to permanent pellet use?
Type "mailbox+mod" in the search field, and you will find many threads on the subject.

I will be modifying mine this weekend.
beercheer.gif

Seen, just use the wifes hair dryer. Does the same thing, just not as much heat. The pellets are already burning, the fast air across them is what gets the cherry glowing.

I have been using this method now myself. Works a treat but I was having trouble with the second row lighting without me knowing about it.

Just like Scooter stated above. Light one row, get it glowing hot then fill the rest. Never a problem since.

Heat guns are always on dirt cheap somewhere. Maybe Todd should package as a unit purchase along with the mini torch...lol

I have a MES 30 and follow the guide lines from Tod and have never had a problem lighting my AMPS but stopping it is another matter. I just use the Propane torch that came with it light the open end for about 1 min and then let it burn. When it has a good cherry ember  I blow out the flame and place it on the left of the chip tray holder. I have had the second row light but figure I over filled the tray.  I open the chip tray loader 1.5 inches for the draft and let it go. Good luck I don't think you really need the heat gun. If you need the heat gun you need more draft I always keep my vent open and have no problems.  Jim

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky