How DONE do you like your ABT's?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinjoe52

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids IA
My first time at making ABT's last week and they were delicious. I am making more today. The first batch I cooked at the recommended 2.5 hours at 225F. The bacon was done nicely and almost crisp. BUT...the Jalapenos were very soft, and they could not be picked up with the fingers. Had to eat them on a plate with a knife and fork.

It seems like you might want a little firmness to the Jalapeno so that it can be picked up and eaten as finger food. Maybe 2 hours vs 2.5 in the smoker?? What do you guys do?

Thoughts please.

Thanks - Joe

Reactions: eccman
My first time at making ABT's last week and they were delicious. I am making more today. The first batch I cooked at the recommended 2.5 hours at 225F. The bacon was done nicely and almost crisp. BUT...the Jalapenos were very soft, and they could not be picked up with the fingers. Had to eat them on a plate with a knife and fork.

It seems like you might want a little firmness to the Jalapeno so that it can be picked up and eaten as finger food. Maybe 2 hours vs 2.5 in the smoker?? What do you guys do?

Thoughts please.

Thanks - Joe

You can always precook your bacon a little. Just enough so it starts to render.

Chris

I like to do 250 for 3 hours and on a wire rack. Gives me the perfect doneness on the bacon and the filling is just starting to pop out. Never had a mushy jalapeno problem. Here is some ABT's and moinks I did a couple months ago. You can see the rack I use comes in handy and the bacon gets done all the way around.
ABT.jpg

For thin sliced bacon I like about 275°-300°.
For thick sliced bacon I like about 350°-375°.
Let it get some good smoke flavor and color, an IT about 150,°.
Finish bacon either on very high temp grill or under broiler.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smkryng
Well, I guess our smokers are different as well as our tastes. This 2nd batch is done. I smoked 1.5 hours at 225 and went to 245 for another half hour. I pulled them as the bacon looked as it does in the pics you guys posted, and the peppers had just a little firmness to them. My smoker will only get to about 245, so that is my limit. I don't think these need to be finished in the broiler. I suppose it depends on how crisp you want your bacon. I am surprised at how nicely the bacon gets at these temps.

Thanks for the feedback,
Joe

Reactions: negolien
No pics, they look just like all the other ones. :-)

Cream cheese, chili powder, my own rub for pork, Chipotle powder, cheddar cheese and Kraft Mexican cheese, beef smokies wrapped in bacon.

I made 46 halves, will eat what we want, then freeze and vacuum seal for visiting future friends that like it hot.

I like my peppers soft/no crunch .. I use racks like smokinvolfan and when they are done just take the whole rack out and let them rest until almost cool.. they then are easy to handle... Your right though... they can't be handled while everything is still hot... letting them rest before handling is the ticket ..

Like GMC I usually pre cook the bacon a bit

I too end up with tender crisp jalapeños. As above, the Fresher they are, the Crisper, the end result...JJ

An Armadillo Egg differs from the standard ABT in that the stuffed chile is encased in ground meat or sausage.
Then either wrapped in bacon or not. I've seen a few breaded or battered.

Scottish Eggs are soft boiled eggs encased in ground meat or sausage, and then cooked.

I know of one really nice battered version of the ABT, they call it a Range Rattler.
Extra large jalapeno stuffed with cheese and a shrimp, wrapped in bacon, battered and deep-fried.

Last edited:
Reactions: patinlouisiana

Thoughts please.

Thanks - Joe

I’ve had that happen before several times, I like to up the temperature a little bit and cook them hotter. Around 300 for a little over an hour has been the best for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky