How do I clean my Cedar Smokehouse after a Michigan winter?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jeremy Klosowski

Original poster
Apr 5, 2019
I built a 40x40x48 cedar smoker last year and it was awesome all summer. It did remain outside all winter and it does look like a red squirrel may have found a way in for a little while. Probably found a small crack in a block near the fire box? I am hoping someone on here can help me out in how to clean it and make it safe for smoking meat. I'm thinking just scrub it down good with a vinegar and water mixture and then smoke it out for a few times prior to placing meat back in there. Anyone have experience with this? or Suggestions are highly welcomed. I added a couple of pictures here.

Thanks All for any help you can provide!
IMG_1016.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG

Clean meat contact surfaces and Vac out any Squirrel debris, but that's it. Do you sanitize your Oven before each use? Do you scrub out the interior of your outdoor grill before you use it? Same here. The Smoker is an Oven covered in Antibacterial Smoke! You NEVER clean the walls unless they get moldy...JJ

Why clean it? It gives it a dignified "well used" look. You actually want the built up smoke on the inside to inhibit bacteria. Look at any commercial pit and while the outside may be clean, the inside is totally black.

Love the smokehouse by the way.

Squirrels can really raise hell with stuff when they get into it. Brother had his mini winnie basically trashed when one got in and couldn't get back out. PELLET GUN...(during seasoning of course)

Thank you for those who have posted. I have shop vac’d and did a smoke up to 350•. I will be smoking a case of Cornish hens on Sunday and will let you all know how it goes!

I’m new to the forum and looking forward to it!

Welcome and good luck with the birds. It well known that the more heavily, " Seasoned " a smoker gets the better the flavor of the meat. There was ano episode of Man, Fire, Food, went to a Smoke House in TX. I believe it was Smitty's. They had one of their large, very old, pits was destroyed by a fire. They rebuilt the unit. Before use they coated the inside with the grease and debris from another original pit and heated it for several hours. They repeated the process a couple of times before the new pit was considered ready to be put into service...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky