How can I turn the heat down?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deepseachris

Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
Oregon
I have a Chargriller with a side fire box. I quit using the side fire box because it uses to much charcoal/ wood to smoke anything. I have made some modifications to it to try and make it more efficient and it has helped but, still not good enough.

This has prompted me to use just the main part of the grill to do the smoking. My problem is that even while shutting the vents and barely having the smoke stack cracked open, it is very hard to get below 350º and really hard to get to the 200º to 250º range which is where I want to be for slow and low smoking my 8lb brisket.

Please help with the whole temp thing.

I just want to add that my brisket was the best that I have done to date but I didn't have the smoke ring that I really wanted. Although i didnt have the smoke ring, it still had a smokey flavor. I had to really watch it to make it come out right. I put a little over 3hrs of smoke to it in a foil pan and waited for internal meat temp to hit 170º then wrapped it up tight in foil pan. I mopped it about every 1 to 1 1/2hrs. I checked the internal temp of meat every time I mopped. It was done earlier than I thought. Internal meat temp hit 200º before I got it off. Pulled it off and let it rest for 2hrs before serving. I had no complaints from the guests. I would have liked to be able to slice rather than mash it. I know that was from getting it to the 200º internal temp though.
Please make any suggestions or pointers for next time.

Thanks
Chris

Temp on with a SFB is all about how big a fire and how much Air is getting to the fire. If you have that smoker all sealed up with Oven Gasket or high temp caulk, then build a smaller fire than you have been or review the Minion Method and just get things going with 10-15 Briquettes. I use to use a pan with holes punched in it, bottom and sides, load it up, then dump 10 lit briquettes on one end. I would leave the exhaust wide open and control the burn with the air damper. Less air, cooler temps. Never had a problem maintaining any temp I wanted...JJ

I agree, in mine I run about half a chimney full of charcoal to maintain the heat and damper down the firebox. Too many wood chips or chunks at one time will send it up as well.

You might want to do search on "stick burner" up in the search box.  I found all sorts of good advice and tips on method and temp control.  I am also using a Char-Griller with SFB.  You should also check out this thread...   http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/58778/char-griller-smokin-pro-with-firebox-mods

While it isn't always the easiest, I can usually control a smoker temp down to 130-140* (which I do for smoking salmon).

Horizontal offsets will not be as fuel efficient as an upright smoker.  Just in their nature.

If you do even basic mods from the above link, you should be able to use the SFB.  Mine maintains satisfactory temps across the grate.  Fire tending only required every 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky