"HOT STICKS" Firewood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johngolf01

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 9, 2017
After years of using an MES 30, I finally made the jump to a true smoker with a lucky find.

Guy was selling his Horizon Ranger (16") offset smoker and ended up getting it for $60! Needed some tlc, so I cleaned it real good and put a fresh coat of paint on her!

First cook was ribs and all I can say is wow, true wood really blows the door off electric. Dont worry I will still use my MES as it has its purposes.

So, now I'm learning how and where to acquire wood splits for the offset. My local store sells these "HOT STICKS" for $5 a bag. Says it's all a mix of Pennsylvania hardwood and kiln dried.

First couple smokesni bought wood splits of OAK from LOWES, but that can get pricey fast.

Anyways, anyone use HOT STICKS?

Attachments

• 20190830_150418.jpg
    20190830_150418.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 36
After years of using an MES 30, I finally made the jump to a true smoker with a lucky find.

Guy was selling his Horizon Ranger (16") offset smoker and ended up getting it for $60! Needed some tlc, so I cleaned it real good and put a fresh coat of paint on her!

First cook was ribs and all I can say is wow, true wood really blows the door off electric. Dont worry I will still use my MES as it has its purposes.

So, now I'm learning how and where to acquire wood splits for the offset. My local store sells these "HOT STICKS" for $5 a bag. Says it's all a mix of Pennsylvania hardwood and kiln dried.

First couple smokesni bought wood splits of OAK from LOWES, but that can get pricey fast.

Anyways, anyone use HOT STICKS?
20190826_190111.jpg

I notice the paint burned off the FB.... That's due to heat being trapped in the FB...
May I suggest you add an extra air inlet to the FB directly across from the FB/CC opening....
That will move the heat from the FB to the CC WITHOUT adding air to the fire and making the FB hotter...
This is how many member on this forum have been doing it for several years...

Smoker Exh and Intakes 2.jpg .. Smoker exh and int 3 Ahumadora.jpg

Smoker FB wimpy69.jpg .. LANG 36.jpg
FB Inlets.jpg Ahumadora's build.jpg

You may find that you need to cut those splits down for a 16" offset, especially if there's hickory mixed in. I like hardware store firewood but as it is usually mixed hardwoods, the splits aren't uniform or even burn at the same temp. May also need to let it season for a few weeks out of the bag. Kiln dried firewood isn't necessarily the driest.

Last edited:
I notice the paint burned off the FB.... That's due to heat being trapped in the FB...
May I suggest you add an extra air inlet to the FB directly across from the FB/CC opening....
That will move the heat from the FB to the CC WITHOUT adding air to the fire and making the FB hotter...
This is how many member on this forum have been doing it for several years...

View attachment 404440..View attachment 404441

View attachment 404442..View attachment 404443
View attachment 404444 View attachment 404445
Thanks for the feedback. Starting to learn to cook with this so all tips are appreciated. I would prefer not to cut and weld on it all possible. I wonder if cracking the firebox open would be a viable option instead.

I do know that I need to level the pit temp out right by the firebox. Gonna use a water pan on future cooks. My first try at ribs were awesome.. had a bit of black on the bottom though which I didnt mind, but might not be appealing to any future guests.

Do need to figure out a rib rack soon.

You may find that you need to cut those splits down for a 16" offset, especially if there's hickory mixed in. I like hardware store firewood but as it is usually mixed hardwoods, the splits aren't uniform or even burn at the same temp. May also need to let it season for a few weeks out of the bag. Kiln dried firewood isn't necessarily the driest.
Thanks for the tip. They seem pretty dry, but will open em up for additional dry out.

How do you recommend cutting them down? Split in half, or length wise? I have been able to fit them in the firebox whole length, but it is a bit tight....

Looking at the burn on the FB, you are wasting wood....
Mind elaborating? Using to much wood, running to hot?

To be clear, the rust "bloom" happened after I accidentally left it out uncovered one night where it rained. Looked like this before that
20190817_201050.jpg

When you burn the high temperature paint, excess heat in the FB is apparent...
Burning too much wood is what happens when you aren't moving the heat from the FB to the CC... Heat builds because it can't go anywhere... High temp paint..

Rust-Oleum 7778502 Heat Protective Enamel, Quart 32-Ounce, Bar-B-Que Black
  • For use on grills, wood-burning stoves, radiators, engines and other metal items
  • Rich, Satin finish resists up to 1200° F

• If you are cooking at 225-250 and your FB is over 1200 F, you are wasting wood.. You don't have adequate air flow through the FB to the CC....

Thanks for the tip. They seem pretty dry, but will open em up for additional dry out.

How do you recommend cutting them down? Split in half, or length wise? I have been able to fit them in the firebox whole length, but it is a bit tight....

I'd cut them down in length. Smaller cuts of wood will burn better and potentially cause less of a temperature swing. The downside is that you'll need to add a split more frequently, but for a smoker of that size it will be easier to regulate the temperature and maintain a good draft.

Black on the bottom of your ribs could be dirty smoke. Were you using the intake vent to control the temp? Ideally you regulate temp by running the intake wide open and adjusting the size of your fire. That'll give you a clean burn.

Also verify your grate level temp. Don't trust the thermometer on the smoker.

Black on the bottom of your ribs could be dirty smoke. Were you using the intake vent to control the temp? Ideally you regulate temp by running the intake wide open and adjusting the size of your fire. That'll give you a clean burn.

Also verify your grate level temp. Don't trust the thermometer on the smoker.
Will do. Yes firebox wide open and also exhaust stack wide open.

Not sure what your consumption rate was on fuel, but Dave is right. I run about 1-2 4x16" splits per hour on a 48W x 96L x 32H once it's warmed up

Granted yours will be made of thinner materials, but between that and the black bottoms of your ribs, it sounds like you have fuel consumption inefficiency issue.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky