Hot Spressata Making

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Had 5 pounds of ground pork in the freezer for 60 days.

Time to make some UMAi hot sopressata.
soppy4.jpg

Salt and cure 2 mixed together.
soppy5.jpg

soppy2.jpg

Use some tape if you have a hard time getting your UMAi bags open.
soppy0.jpg

Mixed and ready for stuffing the bags.
soppy7.jpg

Using 70mm. Got 3 chubs.
soppy8.jpg

Going to use my biltong dryer for the fermenting process, i can get 80* with the 80w bulb.
soppy11.jpg

soppy9.jpg

The top fan draws up. I have screened vent holes at the bottom.
soppy10.jpg

Curious as to why you used a light bulb naked instead of inside a tin can with a lid to block out the light? I thought light was not good for dry cured meats...can you explain?

Curious as to why you used a light bulb naked instead of inside a tin can with a lid to block out the light? I thought light was not good for dry cured meats...can you explain?
Well we will see.
A can over the light will get to hot.

Color is spot on, nice fermentation smell going on.....It works.
soppy13.jpg

Reactions: indaswamp
Fermentation is all done. Nice mild ferment smell.
Turned out perfect.
hsoppy2.jpg

Now the long part. Dry time. Looking at 40-60 days.
hsoppy3.jpg

Perfect fridge temp.
hsopp4.jpg

Day 5 for the UMAi sopressata in the fridge. UMAi bags working like supposed to, nice salumi smell. Back to fridge for another month or so.

d5soppy.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
My new heat source for my fermenting bucket.
Ceramic reptile heaters. Both are 60w and put out around 74-80*ea. Only need one and have to buy a ceramic lamp base.
Im going to use my inkbird temp controller on these.
heatl.jpg

These are coming along nice.
bsalumi.jpg

bsalumi3.jpg

bsalumi4.jpg

Made some hot and sweet sopresatta. Did traditional using hog middles. Didnt know if they would turn out because i did in the front closet with some air and a tray of salt with a bit of water in it.

This is the hot, half the chub has been eaten.
bsalumi1.jpg

The sweet. This took more mold than the hot. Feels firm. little more time in the fridge yet.
bsalumi2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky