hot or mild ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
i have always made some hot sausage every year along with a lot of mild to mildly hot ones but this year everyone seems to want very hot sausage . which do you like ?

I guess it's all about your threshold of heat, and how the flavor of hot ingredients works. To me, heat in sausage is way different than heat in something like hot wings or a bowl of green chili. Looking at two spicy sausage recipes I use, here are the amounts of hot spices:

Hot Italian - 2.5 tablespoons of crushed red peppers in 10# of meat.

Texas Hot Link - 2 tablespoons of crushed red pepper + 1 tablespoon of cayenne in 7# of meat.

to give you reading this an idea of what people are asking me to make,
for 10 lbs meat i am using the normal amount of mild country smoked sausage seasoning + 4 tablespoons red pepper powder + 2 teaspoons of hobanero powder .....and can you believe some want it hotter !!!
i have refused to make it hotter than this !!

to give you reading this an idea of what people are asking me to make,
for 10 lbs meat i am using the normal amount of mild country smoked sausage seasoning + 4 tablespoons red pepper powder + 2 teaspoons of hobanero powder .....and can you believe some want it hotter !!!
i have refused to make it hotter than this !!
Woah, that would be pretty hot in my book.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky