HOT Links!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

couger78

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Northern California
This weekend I thought I'd make small batch of sausages for my son & me. We're the only ones in our household of five who like spicy hot foods. So per his request I made a five-pound batch of spicy hot links.

All the ingredients lined up...

c5f79725_HotLinks_ingredients.jpg

I used 3 pounds of pork butt and two pounds of beef chuck roast. Two grinds.

The first—a medium grind (4.5mm):

793a127f_HotLinks_1stGrind_lg.jpg

After mixing in all the ingredients, I put the batch through a fine grind (3.0mm). Then I used 34mm natural pork casings.

Made 14 good size (6-7") links...

344083b2_HotLinks_stuffed_lg.jpg

Got 'em hung in a pre-heated smoker (140°) with no smoke for the first hour:

47e139d9_HotLinks_hang_lg.jpg

After two & a half hours of heavy smoke. Combo of hickory & cherry sawdust:

90e1bddc_HotLinks_1HourSmoke_lg.jpg

Plunge the batch into a hot bath (165°) to bring them up to an IT of 160° Took only about 20 minutes:

54c5600e_HotLinks_poach_lg.jpg

Quick-cooling in an ice bath afterwards:

2c145b6c_HotLinks_ice_lg.jpg

Bloom time:

a965a4a8_HotLinks_bloom_lg.jpg

Taste time: Whoa! HOT!!...which is what we were going for!

Slight anise-taste goes well with the vinegary 'pepperiness' of the tabasco. BIG afterburn....

My son gave them a big thumbs up! Definitely need a cool beverage alongside these bad boys!

cc5cbf62_HotLinks_slice_lg.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Kevin

Reactions: 73saint and magnus
Very Nice!! not only the looks are great but sounds like the taste is there also. thanks for the pics.

Holy hot tamale....................... Those look great...................
icon14.gif

Joe

Nice Job Kevin, I would like a little more detail too...JJ

Wow Kevin it looks great from you spices and the Tabasco sauce i sow it will be hot took me Time to find out what is nfdm but i found it 

thanks for this great post i will copy and paste to my book .

Another work of art Kevin! My recipe is very similar to yours and we love it here too. I use fennel instead of anise, but might try it your way next time.

Last edited:
Here's the ingredients list & an adaptation of Len Poli's Hot Links recipe (he has several).

Metric listed below first as I prefer weight versus volume for accuracy.

Hot Links

Pork Butt    1590g (3.0 lbs)

Beef Chuck 908g (2.0 lbs)

Kosher salt 44g

Non-Fat dry milk 40g  (1/2 cup)

*I pulverized the NFDM in my spice grinder. makes it a very fine powder.

Sweet Paprika 15g  (2.5 TBL)

Smoked Paprika 15g (2.5 TBL)

(if you REALLY want to make these burn, use 30g of Hot Paprika in place of the sweet & smoked)

Cayenne pepper 30g (4 TBL)

Onion powder 16g (2 TBL)

Mustard powder 14g (2 TBL)

Garlic powder 9.0g (1 TBL)

Brown sugar 20g (2 TBL)

Black pepper 6.0g (1 TBL)

Anise* 6.0g (1 TBL)

(very prominent flavor, use less if desired)

Coriander, ground 4.0g (2 tsp)

Allspice 3.0g (1.5 tsp)

Cure#1 6g (one level tsp)

Red Tabasco Sauce 60 ml (4.0 TBL)

Ice water 8 fl oz (1/2 cup)

- Pork & beef partially frozen. Cut into pieces that fit your grinder's feed chute.

First grind: Both meats through a medium plate (4.5mm). Dissolve cure in the ice water, along with the anise, coriander, allspice & black pepper.

Pour mixture into meat. Add the remainder of ingredients and mix well until a sticky meat paste results (about 10 minutes of hand-mixing). Regrind again through a FINE plate (3.0).

Stuff into 32-34mm casings. Twist off 4-6 inch lengths. Hang to dry while the smoker is being prepared. Pre-heat smoker to 130-140° and hang sausages in smoker. No smoke for the first hour. Add heavy smoke for the next 2-2.5 hours, increasing temps gradually over the same time up to 160°. Quit smoke. Raise temp in smoker up to 170° & continue to cook links until an IT of 160° OR pul the links after the smoke and put them in a hot water bath (165°) until the IT of 160° is reached (less than 30 minutes). Cool off in ice bath (the hot links, NOT you!). Pull links & hang to bloom. Refrigerate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For my tastes, I found these to be plenty hot, but some folks REALLY take it to the next level. The hot paprika would certainly do that and/or using ghost pepper or habenero hot sauce in place of tabasco would accomplish this as well.

-Kevin

Reactions: magnus
Great looking sausage and thanks for posting your recipe. I am planning my first smoked sausage venture soon, will keep your recipe in mind

Thanks again,

Mark

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky