Hot Italian sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
These look great! I know what I'm having tomorrow!

PA311293.jpg
PA311294.jpg

Nice work on those . You nailed the cook . Must have been sausage week . I did 13 pounds .
I'll have to smoke some Italian next time .

Nice work on those . You nailed the cook . Must have been sausage week . I did 13 pounds .
I'll have to smoke some Italian next time .
Thank you! I've only smoked them a couple of times. It really adds to the spices.

That’s some great looking sausage!
Save some of that ground for meatloaf, mixed with ground brisket!
It’s killer!
Al

Those look great! Thanks for sharing.

So just to clarify, you added cure so that you could smoke them at a low temp for a while? When you smoked them, did you take the internal temp up to a fully cooked point, or would you still have to take them to say 155* when you cook them later?

If you didn’t add the cure, would you just freeze them as fresh sausages? And then just fully cook when ready to eat?

Thank you!

Those look great! Thanks for sharing.

So just to clarify, you added cure so that you could smoke them at a low temp for a while? When you smoked them, did you take the internal temp up to a fully cooked point, or would you still have to take them to say 155* when you cook them later?

If you didn’t add the cure, would you just freeze them as fresh sausages? And then just fully cook when ready to eat?

Thank you!

Thank you! Yes, I added cure so I could smoke them at 225. They were smoked until they reached 160 IT. Which is fully cooked. Later, just thaw and heat back up.
You can freeze both fresh or smoked sausage. I vac seal them. If you freeze them fresh. Then just thaw and cook .

Thank you! Yes, I added cure so I could smoke them at 225. They were smoked until they reached 160 IT. Which is fully cooked. Later, just thaw and heat back up.
You can freeze both fresh or smoked sausage. I vac seal them. If you freeze them fresh. Then just thaw and cook .

Thank you! Besides getting a smoked flavor on the sausage, any other reasons to smoke a cured sausage versus just keeping it as fresh sausage?

Steve

Looks real good. Took a pic of your recipe to put in my to do list

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky