Hot Dogs!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
I had planned on making hot dogs this past weekend, well when I opened a 14 pound 2 pack of butts and they smelled "off" I just could convince myself to use them. So into the trash they went.

But seeing I still  wanted to try this recipe I picked up a shoulder today and made 5 pounds of dogs. They smell really good, but I won't get to smoking them till the morning but I think they'll be tasty....They're heavy on the garlic side.

The house smells good now too.
biggrin.gif

Here they are headed for the cooler for the night. I'll update when I get them boiled or smoked or both. They look big in the pic but they're 24-26 naturals 6-7 inches long.

c5f22f2a_IMG_0279.jpg

Reactions: fpnmf
Those look great Dan - do you tie them at exch link twist or just every so often ? Too bad about the 14#.  I stopped buying meat at one store because I had to take things back to them 3 times. The 3rd time was the last for me

I think those are just alternate twist? Twist the first one clockwise, next one counter then alternate each one ???

Last edited:
I think those are just alternate twist? Twist the first one clockwise, next one counter then alternate each one ???
That is how I do mine too but I thought I saw some string there too. Might just be my OLD eyes too

That is how I do mine too but I thought I saw some string there too. Might just be my OLD eyes too

I thought that was just twisted casing . But i could be wrong too.

Those look great.  If you don't mind sharing, what did you use for a recipe?  I've tried several and haven't found one I just love yet.  Great job.

Looks Great Dan...

Bummer having to trash 14# of Butt...

Nice lookin dogs Dan.

Were those 14 lbs of butts bone in and cryovaced by any chance?..  I ask this because the bones in pork tend to sour faster than the bones in beef when in cryovac.  A good rinse in water will often times get rid of that smell.

Just sayin, as everybody says I'll never go to dinner at Dave's house.

Nice lookin dogs Dan.

Were those 14 lbs of butts bone in and cryovaced by any chance?..  I ask this because the bones in pork tend to sour faster than the bones in beef when in cryovac.  A good rinse in water will often times get rid of that smell.

Yeah Dave they were bone in and cyrovaced. it was one of those double packs, one smelled and one didn't I figured it was the vac gas and ground them up. well it still smelled the next day, For oeice of mind I tossed them both.

For those who were asking if they were tied or twisted, the answer is neither, they are looped over and through the last two. real hard to explain but if I find some directions online I'll post them.

thanks for the nice comments, I should have some finish Q-view tomorrow

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky