hot and fast brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jeff has an Excellent newsletter about a slow n low start, high finish brisket here.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/february-7-2013-smoked-brisket-low-n-slow-start-high-heat-finish

I am trying this today. I got the smoker up and running and smoked for about 3.5 hours. Brisket was at 148. Pan with beef broth and apple juice wrapped it and into 350 deg oven. Well it is 5 hours in and we are at 180 IT. I'm gonna take it to 190-195 then small cube it and throw it in my chili.

Will report on taste a d tenderness when done. But this is definitely a time saver!

Ok at 185 I cut the brisket in half and used half to cube up for chili and the rest is resting. The results are ok for being done in half the time and the fact i am going to flavor it up in the chili it is fine. I think that the steam effect (braising) is not my style. I do not like foil. But if in a pinch and need a big honking piece of meat done in one day it works. I will say that there was no stall. It blew through the stall like it didn't exist!

Show some q-view of it before it all gets eaten!

Kat
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

I'm doing a 12lb packer and trying to beat Hermine so I went "hot and fast". 4 hours at 325-350 and I'm at 193 on a good digital wireless therm. What the heck is going on?!

I'm doing a 12lb packer and trying to beat Hermine so I went "hot and fast". 4 hours at 325-350 and I'm at 193 on a good digital wireless therm. What the heck is going on?!

The hurricane is pushing a tonne of air thrugh your smoker. High airflow will cook faster at the same temperature.

4 hrs to get up to 193 IT is certainly a hot and fast run.

I'm definitely a hot n fast guy nowadays on big hunks of meat.  I start low n slow, 225F, just to put some good smoke on it.  When the temp starts creeping up because the meat is warming up, I just let it go, even encourage a higher chamber temp by opening the vents and setting the blower on 350F, wrapping at an IT of 170-180F until it hits my target IT, usually 200F.  Probe for tenderness then decide if it needs more time or it is ready to rest.  Always tastes yummy, tender and juicy.     

Last edited:
Going to try this soon.

So 275-300 is ideal for hot and fast?

Is there still a stall period?

12lber will still be done in 6 or so hours?

Do you still wrap, and if so at what point?

Last edited:
Going to try this soon.

I'd say closer to 8-10 hours at 275 and 6-7 hours at 300. These are all arbitrary numbers though as it will be done when it's done.

The stall period will still be there but will be MUCH shorter so there is no need to wrap IMO. 

Let us know how it goes, and live post the smoke and we'll be there watching. Good luck!

I'd say closer to 8-10 hours at 275 and 6-7 hours at 300. These are all arbitrary numbers though as it will be done when it's done.

The stall period will still be there but will be MUCH shorter so there is no need to wrap IMO. 

Let us know how it goes, and live post the smoke and we'll be there watching. Good luck!
Just to add, when cooking a brisket at these temps you have to be more on-the-ball when checking for tenderness, so I would start checking at 190 IT and every couple degrees until tender.

Last edited:
Going to try this soon.

I don't think you can peg a time on this method with any semblance of conviction.  It's going to be done when it wants to be done.  Half-hour a pound at 275?  I seriously doubt it:  unlikely could get to temp, but even if it does, the collagen hasn't had a chance to fully break down, and it's probably going to be like chewing on rubber bands.  275 is more closely aligned with 2 to 3 fold the time you laid out in your question.  Stalls are individualized:  some do, some don't.  If you don't want good bark, wrap.  If you do want good bark, don't wrap.

Collagen will still have time to break down with an adequate rest period of an hour or more wrapped in foil/towels and packed in a cooler.

I prefer the hybrid low/hot/low method... start at 235, bump to 290 to power through the stall, down to 250 to finish. No wrap. Experimenting is fun.

Collagen will still have time to break down with an adequate rest period of an hour or more wrapped in foil/towels and packed in a cooler.

I prefer the hybrid low/hot/low method... start at 235, bump to 290 to power through the stall, down to 250 to finish. No wrap. Experimenting is fun.
I don't disagree with your point, Duke:  I do disagree that bigsmoke can get a 12 lb packer to fruition in a 6 hour timeline at 275-300.  Not going to happen--that slab of beef will be inedible within that temp range.  I completely concur with what you and I both said earlier:  it's done when it's done.

Appreciate the input fellas its exactly what i needed to hear. Its my first attempt at hot n fast and didnt know what to expect.

Appreciate the input fellas its exactly what i needed to hear. Its my first attempt at hot n fast and didnt know what to expect.
My pleasure, bigsmoke.  Don't rush perfection:  I get as antsy as the next guy and want to sink my teeth into it asap, but there's reasons this crappy cut of beef is done at a snail's pace.  Trust the process.  Where you at in TX?

Houston.

Im short on time for this smoke, and wanted to see if i could get it done. If its a success i plan to use this method for my next cater/plate sale.

Just finished a brisket here at my joint - this one took 12 hours.  7 others that were put on the pit at the same time took less.  I smoke at 260.  YMMV.  They're all different.

Jeff

Jeff's Texas Style BBQ

Marysville, WA

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky