Hot and Fast Brisket (5 Hours Total!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

travisty

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 10, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
Lately I have been exploring hot and fast techniques, because I have started a catering business on the side, and I just cant manage a 12+ hour cook when I already work a full time job. Anything over 6 hours just wasn't gonna cut it, so I searched and searched and found a few people doing it in under that, including a video from Myron Mixon. A local pro team "Team America" also does theirs in 5 hours, so I decided to give it a shot, and holy cow, I will NOT be going back!

Brisket Cook.JPG

16 lb Prime packer, cooked on my Yoder YS640. This thing was soooo juicy, and very tender. It retained most of the weight, and I only lost about 3 inches in total length (but I forgot to take weight)

Here is the basic recipe:
Smoker Temp: 350 degrees
Time (approximate): 5 hours total. 3 on smoke, and 2 wrapped
Important factors: Phosphate injection, cooked in pan, baste regularly, leave most fat on, cook fat-cap down.
Finishing internal temp: approximately 205

Inject your brisket with a phosphate inclusive brisket injection. Rub her down with your favorite rub, or see the details of my rub in the body above. Cook the brisket at 350 for 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes. Wrap the brisket with some juice, beef stock, and/or butter (or your favorite wrapping liquid). Cook wrapped for about 2 more hours or until your IT reaches approximately 205 or until a toothpick/probe goes in like warm butter. Let the meat rest for at least one our, or up to 4 hours in a well insulated cooler. ENJOY!

(for a really long read, and detailed description, check out my site: www.lalunabbq.com)

As a note: I haven't tried a hot and fast method without a phosphate injection, but I have been told in all of my research, and from other competition team friends that such a short hot method will not turn out great without it.
If anyone has done one without an injection, or with just a broth type injection, let us know below how it turned out!

It is likely that for my own home cooks ill still go 12 hours without an injection, or at least without phosphates, but for catering and competition, this it my new go-to.

That Butcher's BBQ injection is some pricy stuff. Well worth it if you're competing, I'm sure.

I'm not competing, but as a result of this thread, I started doing some research. Turns out baking soda contains monocalcium phosphate. Cooks Illustrated marinated meat in water and baking soda and found it helped retain moisture and increased tenderness without affecting taste. I've got some aluminum-free baking soda in the cabinet. Just might have to experiment with making an injection concoction of Accent (MSG), Water, Beef Bouillon, and baking soda. I'll have to buy the Accent on my next trip to the grocers.

Before I started smoking, I cooked briskets in the oven at 350F, uncovered for half the cook, then add liquid and cover for the remainder. They always came out tender and juicy. I've been slow smoking briskets at 225F overnight, then cranking up the temp to 275F, leaving them uncovered. They come out juicy and tender, but I just might have to try the injection and 350F on the smoker.

Thanks for the ideas T! Points!

As a note: I haven't tried a hot and fast method without a phosphate injection, but I have been told in all of my research, and from other competition team friends that such a short hot method will not turn out great without it.
If anyone has done one without an injection, or with just a broth type injection, let us know below how it turned out!

It is likely that for my own home cooks ill still go 12 hours without an injection, or at least without phosphates, but for catering and competition, this it my new go-to.
Do you think this method works best using a prime cut? I picked up a choice brisket earlier on sale. Do you think that a lesser cut needs more of a low and slow approach? I have tried using the Kosmos injection on a choice packer at 275 and it still ended up pretty dry except for the point.

Do you think this method works best using a prime cut? I picked up a choice brisket earlier on sale. Do you think that a lesser cut needs more of a low and slow approach? I have tried using the Kosmos injection on a choice packer at 275 and it still ended up pretty dry except for the point.

I would think that it probably wouldn’t work as great with the lower cut, may not be enough fat content to carry it over. That being said, if you’re down for the experiment with the chance of a fail, would be great to find out! Funny thing is, at my local Costco, the Prime Briskets usually run $2.99-$3.29 per pound, where the choice (also I trimmed full packer) is almost always more expensive. I have no idea why that, but I’m not gonna let them know if they just keep mixing it up.

Diva-Q showed me a moth of where you store a choice brisket in a well controlled, unopened fridge for a month, and they come out as good as prime, but I don’t have the space to try it.

Thanks for the points! It sure was good. That baking soda idea sounds intriguing, I’ll have to research that!

I would think that it probably wouldn’t work as great with the lower cut, may not be enough fat content to carry it over. That being said, if you’re down for the experiment with the chance of a fail, would be great to find out! Funny thing is, at my local Costco, the Prime Briskets usually run $2.99-$3.29 per pound, where the choice (also I trimmed full packer) is almost always more expensive. I have no idea why that, but I’m not gonna let them know if they just keep mixing it up.

Diva-Q showed me a moth of where you store a choice brisket in a well controlled, unopened fridge for a month, and they come out as good as prime, but I don’t have the space to try it.
You do the entire cook with the brisket in a pan? I have tried wet aging a choice brisket and it was slightly improved, but that could have been other factors. I am still trying to figure out briskets as I have only done a few and now I am using a new set up so your post has given me more to think about. Thanks

I'm very intrigued by this whole thread. I'm not a competition guy so phosphate injections are not even in my wheelhouse. What exactly do phosphates do to shorten the cooking time? I can grasp the idea of baking soda retaining moisture, I guess the concept is that during a faster cook moisture is pulled out of the meat at a faster rate thus risking dried out meat. Correct? It's the part about increasing tenderness that's got me stumped. Increased moisture does not equate to increased tenderness. Does the phosphate help break down connective tissue?

Sorry for thinking out loud ramblings. This thread has my attention. Love to hear noboundaries experimental results.

I'm very intrigued by this whole thread. I'm not a competition guy so phosphate injections are not even in my wheelhouse. What exactly do phosphates do to shorten the cooking time? I can grasp the idea of baking soda retaining moisture, I guess the concept is that during a faster cook moisture is pulled out of the meat at a faster rate thus risking dried out meat. Correct? It's the part about increasing tenderness that's got me stumped. Increased moisture does not equate to increased tenderness. Does the phosphate help break down connective tissue?

Sorry for thinking out loud ramblings. This thread has my attention. Love to hear noboundaries experimental results.

Yeah, so the whosphates do both help break down connective tissue and help retain mostruse. They are primarily a moisture absorber, but I get what your saying, that though moisture doesn’t equate entirely to tenderness, they are certainly closely related. The more moisture, the better environment for tissue breakdown, and the more moisture the better the end result.
I’ve 100% had Briskets (and other meat) that has been very “tender” but still dry and that’s no fun.
I honestly can’t say 100% what the results would be here to drop the phosphate injection, but based on my uses it’s not something I’m gonna risk the investment on trying. I do only use the phosphate injections (most commercial injections do have phosphates and/or glutimates for moisture retention) for catering and competition, and I can say without reservation that they are absolutely needed for competition, and a big part of that is the post cooking retention, so your brisket isnt totally dried out by the time it makes it to the judging table.

The phosphates I don’t think do anything to shorten the cooking time, they are just there to help keep as much of the moisture in the meat as possible.

If someone has the disposable income, I’d love to see this experiment without using phosphates... I would think that at the very least, you would need a good broth injection just to raise the moisture level as high as you can.
If I end up with an extra smaller brisket at some point, I’ll give it a try and let you guys know how it goes.
At least in my research I couldn’t find any other 5-6 hour methods that did not include a phosphate inclusive injection.

travisty, how would you rate this brisket against one you've cooked for 10-12 hours? By the way, the pictures look excellent, great smoke ring with visual moisture. I know Aaron Franklin cooks at 275 all the time due to restaurant demands. If 5 hours works then why sweat out 12?

One last question. Why did you cook in a pan? Did you lose bark on the fat cap as a result?

Oh yea, points for you on this one for sure!

I cook all my briskets hot and fast at 300 and never inject or use phosphates. I wrap in butcher paper and always have a super tender and juicy brisket

travisty, how would you rate this brisket against one you've cooked for 10-12 hours? By the way, the pictures look excellent, great smoke ring with visual moisture. I know Aaron Franklin cooks at 275 all the time due to restaurant demands. If 5 hours works then why sweat out 12?

One last question. Why did you cook in a pan? Did you lose bark on the fat cap as a result?

Oh yea, points for you on this one for sure!

Hey thanks for the points. Yeah, I cooked in the pan to just help keep as much of the moisture in the environment as possible (it also makes cleanup a breeze!) I know that a lot of people just cook in pans all the time no matter what, cause it is certainly easier for clean-up, wrapping, rotating and moving around, and really the small amount of bark you loose is no big deal.

There for sure wasn’t really any bark on the fat cap, but I did leave the whole thing, so that’s a lot of fat, and most people remove it. When I cook in competition I do take off pretty much all of the fat so I can get rub and bark all the way around. Another more successful pro team than mine that I’ve cooked with leaves the whole fat cap on for his competition, cooks in a pan and doesn’t even bother rubbing the fat cap side, then just cuts it off before boxing.

I think that this brisket was at least as good as any brisket I’ve ever cooked. I’ve cooked more Briskets than I can count at the 12-14 hour range, and they are a lot of work. I 100% won’t cook One low and slow for catering again, and I will probably at least try this method in my next competition to see how I like it there, though time isn’t an issue since I’m there all night anyway, and like I said before, I like bark and rub on both. Sides of the whole packer.

I cook all my briskets hot and fast at 300 and never inject or use phosphates. I wrap in butcher paper and always have a super tender and juicy brisket

Thanks for the weigh in! That’s what I was looking for. Please give me more details so I can try your method. What’s your total time and at what point do you wrap? I’d love to have a more hot and fast non-injected option for when I do Briskets for myself/ my family.

Did a little reading about sodium phosphate and still not entirely sure of the benefits. It does seem to be a good compound for moisture retention (positive) and emulsification (which may help retain other injecting compounds). I looked at FAB B and Butcher BBQ injections and noticed both utilize MSG as well. Not a big fan of that.

Anyway I'll stick with my low sodium beef broth injection recipe and try a little higher temp in my next packer cook. Again cutting down on time with similar results is a win-win.

I don't typically inject, but I do use phosphate in some sausages to keep them extra juicy. It's pretty inexpensive - 14oz for $15 and you use about 4.5 grams per pint of injection. The stuff I use is called PhosThis! and available at Amazon

Just an FYI, my mother cooks briskets hot and fast at like 400F or a little higher without any injection and has no problem. I don't know her method but it is possible and comes out well so if you ever want to try without injection feel free to give it a whirl :)

Good to hear about your hot quick method, keep up the good work :)

6F03F497-3B37-45D7-92B1-FB6ABCAA29F8.jpeg 4DBD9BA8-B99C-4862-873C-9EC27C47DB99.jpeg D87B4B51-1658-4E00-959B-0EACED5A2752.png B03AE56B-9812-497F-ADBB-68EE48D0A111.jpeg 6F03F497-3B37-45D7-92B1-FB6ABCAA29F8.jpeg 4DBD9BA8-B99C-4862-873C-9EC27C47DB99.jpeg 6F03F497-3B37-45D7-92B1-FB6ABCAA29F8.jpeg
6F03F497-3B37-45D7-92B1-FB6ABCAA29F8.jpeg
[QUOTE="travisty, post: 1756546, member: 80734"
Thanks for the weigh in! That’s what I was looking for. Please give me more details so I can try your method. What’s your total time and at what point do you wrap? I’d love to have a more hot and fast non-injected option for when I do Briskets for myself/ my family.[/QUOTE]

I take a whole packer, trim a ton of fat off the point and especially aggressive where the muscles connect. I put it on at about 325 and let it settle to 300. At 265 I split the packer, reason the point and put back unwrapped for burnt ends. Wrap the flat in butcher paper and goes back on until 203. The difference I find in the butcher paper is the bark it’s incredible!!Depending on size 4-5 hours. Here are a few pics

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky