Honey Garlic Meat stix ~ Pork and beef combo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Led Freddie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 9, 2018
BC Canada/ Tucson, Az.
There's a couple ways to go with this one; One is hot and sweet, the other is garlic and honey. Either way they come out flavorful and chewy.

Ingredients
1.5 pounds of pork butt
3.5 Beef ( I used a tri tip because it was on special)
#1 pink 1 tsp
kosher salt 10 tsp
brown sugar 4 tsp
course grind Blk. pepper 2 tsp
granulated garlic 2 tsp
chilli powder 2 tsp
cracked black pepper 2 tsp
red chili pepper flakes 2 tsp
fennel- ground fresh 2 tsp
Balsamic vinegar 4 tsp

~~
For Honey Garlic Stix

1.5 pounds of pork butt
3.5 Beef ( I used a tri tip because it was on special)
#1 pink 1 tsp
kosher salt 10 tsp
brown sugar 4 tsp
course grind Blk. pepper 2 tsp
granulated garlic 5 tsp
granulated onion 2 tsp
cracked black pepper 2 tsp
fennel- ground fresh 2 tsp
Balsamic vinegar 4 tsp
Italian spice 2 tsp
Honey 1/2 cup

For cracked pepper, I pour my pepper into a mortar and pestle and give it a quick grind, just enough to break the peppers up.

This will make 24, 10 inch sticks using 22 mm snack stick casings

I par froze the pork and ground on the largest plate I have ( approx 3/8")

I then added the Balsamic vinegar and (and honey) to moisten the meat then added the dry seasoning covering all of it and covered it in the fridge for 24 hrs.

The next day I pulled it out and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden up, then put it to work through my stuffer with a course faceplate into casings.

I used hickory and preheat my smoker to 110.
I hung my sticks and let them heat at 110 for 2 hrs.
Then, upped the heat to 130 for another 2 hrs.
2 more hour at 140. *( They reach 145 at this point but my wife likes them to be drier so i gave it an additional step below).
Finally 30 minutes at 150 to finish.

They rested in the fridge overnight before cleaning them up and cutting for vacuum packing.
They are sweeter than pepperoni if you follow the honey garlic version but have an abundant garlic and black pepper bite.
=/- of Balsamic rather than apple cider vinegar is its got a milder vinegar kick rather than the bite of apple cider vinegar.
The slow and steady temperature increase keeps the fat intact and marbling is perfect. The combination of lean beef makes for a perfect combination of meat to fat ratio that doesn't leave an oil slick on your tongue with every bite.
20190723_195124.jpg

Ive gotten into using the zap straps that i have left over from my Umai kits. Faster than doing a string tie off twice to every piece.
20190724_102548.jpg

If I dont cut them down in halves, the buddies will gobble them up in one sitting.
20190724_102624.jpg

Cut on the diagonal you can really see the pepper flakes and cracked pepper. The marbling of beef, pork and fat is great.
20190724_102756.jpg

Last edited:
These looking really good...

A couple of questions... In the honey/garlic you put a total of 4 tsp of black pepper ?? I see you have black pepper listed twice ...

Casings.. is 12mm a typo ?? I've never seen 12mm for sale... and they look much bigger.. like 22mm maybe ??

Reactions: Led Freddie
Youre right, that should be 22mm casings.
As for pepper, yes both course ground pepper for over all flavor and cracked black pepper for that instant bite and added texture. I have used whole peppers before but thats overkill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky