honest question.. Why UMAI?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am sympli asking why UMAi....
No problem here . You have the conditions , and no doubt the knowledge to turn out some great results without using Umai bags . I just wanted to make sure you saw the answer to your question .

No problem here . You have the conditions , and no doubt the knowledge to turn out some great results without using Umai bags . I just wanted to make sure you saw the answer to your question .
with all due respect Sir, I didn't talk about case hardening, I was talking about meat surface hardening ring and sharing my own experience with Saint....No reason to jump in and police... All good...

When you say a surface hardening we even me thought of casehardening. I have a chamber and used umai. The chamber is more maintaince. I have used both.

Reactions: chopsaw
No problem here and I don't take it as argument at all... I tried to understand logic behind UMAi use... at moments conversation touched other stuff and I apologize if conversation got carried away in different direction away from original topic...

No problem here and I don't take it as argument at all... I tried to understand logic behind UMAi use... at moments conversation touched other stuff and I apologize if got carried away...

Its all good. As said, most dont have a way to dry in a cold room. My temps even in winter wont allow it.

Its all good. As said, most dont have a way to dry in a cold room. My temps even in winter wont allow it.
Ok... thanks... just trying to understand difference... for example, I start in the beginning of December with whole pork leg (bone in) dry cure, mid of January start with air cure and first cut and taste in the begining of June... by that time temp in my cellar is around 70F and at that time it goes in to fridge.. never got it bad or spoiled.. just trying to understand difference.... thanks to all of members for anwers....

I keep my chamber at 50 degrees and 75% humidity. My basement hits 60 in the winter and very dry.

My basement hits 60 in the winter and very dry.
Mine stays about the same as you . I could use cheese cloth in a bowl of water as a wick to stop the case hardening , but I don't have to worry about the umai .

You have a room built in the cellar or using the whole cellar?
Using the whole cellar... its about 10 x 12 with two 4" air holes near ceilings in which I've installed two small computer fans controled by termostate to adjust temp in cellar plus small heater for winter and humidifier.... plus dedicated fridge... its by no means state of art but does work....

Last edited:
Here ya go:
http://blog.sausagemaker.com/2015/11/how-to-make-dry-curing-chamber.html

When doing research into dry curing, I soon realized how precious little there is on the subject. The dry curing method I am referring to is the hanging of sausages filled with choice meats, salt, dextrose (or sugar), fresh spices and sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate (Insta Cure #2) in a controlled environment with relatively low temperatures and high humidity. Ideally, this is done where the climate permits, which is why Italy has for so long produced the best dry cured (salumi) products, and for the same reason San Francisco has become the unofficial U.S. capital of Italian salumi. Some of the traditional dry cured meats include sopressata, capicola, prosciutto, pepperoni and the leader of the pack, salami. Being in Buffalo, NY this would have been perfect to do in the winter months, but we tend to crave salami even in the summer. Most people live in climates and environments that do not have ideal temperatures and humidity for prolonged periods of time. So, we have to create them. Once the controlled space has been created, it won’t matter where you live or what season it is. You can have dry cured pepperoni, salami, capicola… you name it. That was one of the main reasons for making this curing chamber: It will take the climate in your location virtually out of the equation by letting you create your own micro-climate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky