Homemade wedding gift---from the heart or just being cheap?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Should I go ahead and give this gift or get something else?

• Give it to them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Throw it in the trash and get them something else.

• Give them the spice rack but get them something else too.

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
One of my best friends is getting married this weekend. This has put me in a bit of a spot. The problem is he's one of the most off the wall, creative, out of the ordinary people you'd ever want to meet. On one hand, he's a really nice guy who would be very appreciative and grateful for any present we got him. On the other hand, if, let's say you were a fly fisherman and your birthday was coming up, he'd spend months growing the perfect species of bamboo to make you a fly rod. Not that he's a fly rod maker, but in order to make it special for you, he'd learn how.

This is what I'm up against. In addition, he's getting married, so obviously we have his bride to consider as well.

So after tearing out what's left of my hair for several months, I came up with an idea.

The idea, which I hope won't offend, is to create something from things that started out with a very different purpose in life. The various parts of this spice rack had very different lives once. The shelves were once part of pallets and crates used to ship wine from Italy. The beadboard was left over from a kitchen renovation project. The molding was purchased to finish bathroom cabinets, but then minds were changed and it was left in the shed unused. Even the screws and nails were once intended for something else. But, out of this pile of scrap and refuse, something solid and useful has been created. Something that with a little care, will stand the test of time. My friend and his wife to be both had very different lives once, but a chance meeting and a twist of fate brought them together to form something great. They're both a little weathered and scarred from life, but together they're rock solid.

So, does this sound like a good gift or are they going to think I'm just a cheap bastard?

Anyway, here's the spice rack. It will hold 12 jars and will be filled when I give it to them. The jars in there now are mine,  just to see how it'll look. I'm gonna use the same jars, but with nice labels. I'm also no woodworker, so another friend helped me make this. It really is solid as a rock. It ain't pretty but should last. The slots in the bottom are to hang wine glasses by the way. I'm toying with the idea of drilling 45˚ angle holes along the right side so it'll hold 3 wine bottles by inserting the necks in the holes. The camera angles and shadows make it look like some of the angles are off, but it's actually straight and true. I purposely left the wood pretty much as found. I could have sanded and stained it without much extra work, in fact the friend who helped me make it lobbied all day for that, but I just liked it better this way.

This is a French cleat so it'll mount rock solid to the wall.

I purposely chose the piece of wood with the knot hole for the top shelf.

Measuring cups and spoons are also mine, but I'll put a nice set of metal ones in there for them. I also purposely left the

pencil marks from where I measured it.

You can see the slots for the glasses at the bottom of this pic.

I think its a cool idea for a gift. We have things in our house that were hand made by friends and family that we use every day. Those are the things we show and brag of the most when we have company over too.

Reactions: mdboatbum
I think that's a great gift! It shows thought and was made by creative hands! Anyone can go buy cheap Chinese made junk and gift it. Just sayin...

I'm with the above responses man. It's from the heart. As Cathy said, maybe a note with your thoughts, explanation and well wishes. It's obvious you would be doing this with thought and feeling for THEM, not cause your a cheapskate. GO FOR IT!!!!  

jC

I agree with an explanation note, maybe even write a poem that explains each piece of wood and that they all once had a different purpose but now have come together for only one purpose that will last forever and compare it to the couple it will be given to like how their lives were different with a different purpose until they met and came together for one soul purpose.

This will be something hanging in their kitchen that they will look at everyday and be reminded of all your thoughts and love for them, gifts don't get any better than that!

I agree with an explanation note, maybe even write a poem that explains each piece of wood and that they all once had a different purpose but now have come together for only one purpose that will last forever and compare it to the couple it will be given to like how their lives were different with a different purpose until they met and came together for one soul purpose.

This will be something hanging in their kitchen that they will look at everyday and be reminded of all your thoughts and love for them, gifts don't get any better than that!
Dave...perfectly said.  This will work!

Kat

...  each piece of wood and that they all once had a different purpose but now have come together for only one purpose that will last forever and compare it to the couple it will be given to like how their lives were different with a different purpose until they met and came together for one soul purpose.
That was beautiful, man ... [wipes tear from corner of eye]

Seriously, most people will spend about 10 minutes looking at a gift registry and pick the first thing that's in their budget.  I know I've been guilty of that myself.  I can assure you in 2 years they will have no idea who gave them the registry item.  They will ALWAYS know who gave them this gift.

Yep that's the perfect gift, anything made has more value than something store bought, For every birthday and Christmas I make gifts for my boys. Then we give the immediate family smoke goods for Christmas. The best gift we received for our wedding was a handcrafted cutting board.

Awesome!! Thank you all so much for the affirmative replies. You know how this is, you get an idea and think it's great, then you start second guessing yourself. I'll go with the spice rack and with a note of explanation.

Now I just have to finish practicing the champagne toast and the readings for the ceremony. Jeesh, I'm glad he's almost the last of the old gang to get hitched, I'm not sure how many more of these I can handle!!

Last edited:
I say give it to them.  If they are truly your friends they will appreciate the work you put into it and will enjoy it.  Also, you know it is something that they just can't return to the store! 
thumb1.gif

I agree with Kat Dave, this is a great idea about writing a poem about the wood. Maybe take it one step further and tie in a stanza about how the different spices and ingredients can come together to create something wonderful and harmonious etc...Just a thought.

Well the gift was a big hit. I included a note explaining it all. Not quite a poem, as I am no poet, but written from the heart. They really seemed to love it.

Well the gift was a big hit. I included a note explaining it all. Not quite a poem, as I am no poet, but written from the heart. They really seemed to love it.
yahoo.gif
Great Job!

We received a hundred gifts or so at our wedding a few weeks ago. There are only two that really stand out and both were hand crafted. One came wrapped in an old wood cigar box which now sits on top of my dresser so I can put my daily pocket change in.  Something to be said about making gifts.

I also switched out the jars for pint sized ones. They just seemed to fit and looked much better. I was going to print out labels, but decided to peel the labels off the bulk spice containers. Thought it looked more kitschy. They'll easily peel off and they can change them to whatever they want, as well as get different spices of their choosing. I also discovered that the top shelf would fit one wine bottle on its side perfectly, or 4 standing up. So I included a nice bottle of Chardonnay and 4 wine glasses to fit in the glass rack. I also put 2 hooks on the side to hang the old fashioned metal measuring cups and spoons I got them. All in all, I think it turned out pretty well and am glad they liked it. Now I'm thinking I need to make one for us!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky