Homemade Corned Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tsulcoski

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
Nanticoke PA
Hi all

Time tested recipe for Homemade corned beef

In a 5 gal bucket with lid combine the following

2.5 gallons water
3/4# salt
3 oz Tender quick ( cure)
2 oz pepper
4 oz garlic
2 oz onion
3/4 # white sugar

Put beef in bucket of brine and let sit in basement or cooler place 50-60 degrees for three days, shaking to mix brine daily.

Refrigerate for three days, shaking daily to mix brine.

remove from brine and cook up.

yummm... pretty close to what I do, don't forget rub with some pepper and corriander and smoke to make pastrami!!!
icon_lol.gif
got 5 roasts brining/curing as we speak in the garage fridge.....

Heres one I use a lot.....

Per 4-6 lbs of Venison (I use nice lean hindquarter sections)
5 Tbsp. Morton Tenderquick salt
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. coarse ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. mixed pickling spice
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground bay leaf
1 tsp. ground allspice
2 tsp. garlic powder

Mix all dry ingredients well in a large bowl or shake in a sealed zip-lock bag until mixed well
Place meat portions in a gallon zip-lock bag(s) and add the dry ingredients, seal the bag and work the seasonings onto and into the meat until well covered
Refridgerate for 5-7 days working the ingredients around in the bag once a day (allow 5 days per 2" thickness of meat)
To prepare place the meat with the contents of the bag into a large enough pan to cover well with water and bring to a boil. reduce to a medium simmer and cook until tender. The wife has been using a pressure cooker lately to save time and it works out well
Enjoy!!!!!!

Deb...I have found so many ways to use Venison that I don't even bother cutting steaks,chops or other "plain jane" cuts anymore. And as far as the corned venison goes....SUPERB!!!!!. The wife and I vaccum seal some for later...but a good portion gets sliced up to use for sandwiches and we grind some up for homemade corned beef hash. Sometimes we use it in a boiled dinner with cabbage, potatos, carrots, celery, onion etc. etc. I have tried several brine type recipes and they're good...but this recipe is just as good (if not better) and easier. You be the judge...SMB

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky