Home page changes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
Hey everyone.

Jeff and I talked today and there will be some changes to the homepage to make it what we hope is better and not as congested.

We started today by moving chat to its own page you can get to from the menu bar.

Other changes will be added/changing the featured items. They will still be there but changing.

We are also looking at showing more recent threads on it.

One of the other changes will be to put the forum list on its own page so the homepage doesn't scroll forever.

There will be other things as well but wanted to give you a heads up.

If you have any suggestions please let us know.

Thanks

One of the reasons we moved chat was Jeff noticed how much real-estate it took up and we were going to move it to the bottom and let recent stuff fill its spot but feel putting it in the menu bar was better.

Alot of the changes are to maximize this space but clear up clutter.

Love seeing more new threads. While this isn’t a layout suggestion from a content standpoint I still think a sponsors sub forum would be great. I know from time to time sponsors get mentioned in threads but a consolidated list of them would be great. I’d guess that many if not all would actively post coupon codes etc. Likely an idea that could be monetized.

Looks nice guys! The extra space for new posts will be nice! Some days they weren't up there long.

And again, a big THANKS for all you do!

Ryan

Reactions: 912smoker
I really like the more new posts, I don’t always have time to look so I miss lots and this will help me see more for sure!

I think it would be good to do away with allowing members to hide. It goes against the community that this forum is about and represents. If someone gotta hide that means they are up to no good. It’s great to have the chat page moved is there a way we can see who is logged into chat now? It would be great to finally do away with all the issues that result from people lurking in chat.

Reactions: flatbroke
Great idea! I always wondered why the chat thing took so much room at the top of the page.
I try to check in 2 or 3 times a day and missed quite a few posts.
Good to see them showing longer!

Reactions: TulsaJeff
Thanks for everything. One suggestion is to be able to delete your post.

This is a tough one because from time to time we have members that go off the deep end and want to go delete their post and takes some great content away from the site.

I think it would be good to do away with allowing members to hide.

This is a feature that is given to Premier members as a perk. I know sometimes when im on I get bombarded with PM's and feel bad if I can't reply back to them ASAP so going invisible helps with this but we will talk about it.

This is a feature that is given to Premier members as a perk. I know sometimes when im on I get bombarded with PM's and feel bad if I can't reply back to them ASAP so going invisible helps with this but we will talk about it.

I never even heard of this. When I want to hide, I just turn my computer off.
That's the only way I know of. Works for me.

Bear

I totally see the need for admin to be able to hide at some times. I don’t see how it’s beneficial for members to be hidden.

Reactions: flatbroke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky