Holiday Gift Ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chew2475

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
Connecticut
Hello All,

I have been thinking alot about what would be on my wish list this year and I finally came up with my idea. I would love to know what are some folks favorite rubs, spices, sauces that can be purchased and are unique to your area/region of the country. For example you might say "Old Bay Seasoning" in the mid Atlantic area. I have heard alot about some of the well known ones so I am really trying to seek out some new and unique ones that may not be that readily available in my local supermarket up here in Connecticut.

Thanks for considering.

Reactions: JLeonard
You are in luck buddy.
I highly recommend you try some Rudy's BBQ Sausse:
DSC01323_1132x954__59594.1474920433.jpg
This is like the most amazing BBQ Sauce. It's a true Texas style of bbq sauce. Some sweetness but not thick and super sweet. Sweet level is a characteristic not a dominating factor.
Also a nice blend of savory and complementary bbq flavors both traditional ingredients and Texas area ingredients and flavors. Finally it has some kick to it but it seems that is mostly from the fresh cracked black pepper in it not like jalapenos are added.

The bottles are HUGE, like 28-30oz bottles. They make the regular and then the Sissy Sausse for those that want a little less kick but it still has some kick to it :)

I cannot speak for their rubs. I mix my own because honestly I have greater control over flavors and once you learn the basics of meat seasonings its super simple to make amazing flavor with just 3-5 seasonigs alone, and then you can add to the base seasonings to go any specific direction (Italian, Mexican, Asian, Cajun, Mediterranean, etc. etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: MJB05615
P2sQIXq.jpg

Every year the American Royal BBQ contest (the largest BBQ contest in the world) has a "Best Sauce on the Planet" contest. A local company entered three of their sauces, one of which is one of the few sauces I will use at home, and had an amazing finish.

Overall rankings were 3rd for their Jalapeno Barbecue Sauce, 11th for their Sweet Mustard Barbecue Sauce, and 128th for their Original Barbecue Sauce... these rankings were out of 369 entries. In the Individual categories, the Jalapeno took 1st out of 82 entries, the Sweet Mustard took 1st out of 43 entries, and the Original took 46th out of 122 entries. HERE is their website if you want more info.

Reactions: MJB05615 and tallbm
You are in luck buddy.
View attachment 473436
This is like the most amazing BBQ Sauce. It's a true Texas style of bbq sauce. Some sweetness but not thick and super sweet. Sweet level is a characteristic not a dominating factor.
Also a nice blend of savory and complementary bbq flavors both traditional ingredients and Texas area ingredients and flavors. Finally it has some kick to it but it seems that is mostly from the fresh cracked black pepper in it not like jalapenos are added.

The bottles are HUGE, like 28-30oz bottles. They make the regular and then the Sissy Sausse for those that want a little less kick but it still has some kick to it :)

I cannot speak for their rubs. I mix my own because honestly I have greater control over flavors and once you learn the basics of meat seasonings its super simple to make amazing flavor with just 3-5 seasonigs alone, and then you can add to the base seasonings to go any specific direction (Italian, Mexican, Asian, Cajun, Mediterranean, etc. etc.)
When I saw this I had to smile as I have been to Texas once and that is the one sauce I brought back with me from my trip. Brings back good memories and it is a good sauce.

View attachment 473435

Every year the American Royal BBQ contest (the largest BBQ contest in the world) has a "Best Sauce on the Planet" contest. A local company entered three of their sauces, one of which is one of the few sauces I will use at home, and had an amazing finish.

Overall rankings were 3rd for their Jalapeno Barbecue Sauce, 11th for their Sweet Mustard Barbecue Sauce, and 128th for their Original Barbecue Sauce... these rankings were out of 369 entries. In the Individual categories, the Jalapeno took 1st out of 82 entries, the Sweet Mustard took 1st out of 43 entries, and the Original took 46th out of 122 entries. HERE is their website if you want more info.
Will be adding that to the list. Thanks

You are in luck buddy.
View attachment 473436

I strongly recommend their rub too.

Reactions: tallbm
When I saw this I had to smile as I have been to Texas once and that is the one sauce I brought back with me from my trip. Brings back good memories and it is a good sauce.

Hahaha glad you got to enjoy it!
Don't shy away from spoiling yourself with a bottle anyhow ;)

These look good. Any favorites?
My favorite by far is their original sauce and their mild BBQ rub they are great on beef, pork, fowl, fish and veggies.

BUTTERY GARLIC & HERB
CALI'S BLACKENED RUB
MILD BBQ RUB
TEQUILA LIME RUB.

The buttery garlic rub is amazing on almost everything, I like the Cali Blk rub on fish. And the mild BBQ rub is their original rub which is killer on pork, fowl I love it on tri tips and ball tips best of all. The tequila lime is great on flank steak, chicken for taco's or fajitas I like it best on fish and shrimp for tacos and fajitas it's killer stuff.

Out of everything if you just wanted to try it out I'd buy the original sauce, buttery garlic and herb rub/seasoning and the mild BBQ rub would be a good starting point. They also make some great zero sugar sauces if you can't eat stuff with sugar in it.

Reactions: slavikborisov
My favorite by far is their original sauce and their mild BBQ rub they are great on beef, pork, fowl, fish and veggies.

BUTTERY GARLIC & HERB
CALI'S BLACKENED RUB
MILD BBQ RUB
TEQUILA LIME RUB.

The buttery garlic rub is amazing on almost everything, I like the Cali Blk rub on fish. And the mild BBQ rub is their original rub which is killer on pork, fowl I love it on tri tips and ball tips best of all. The tequila lime is great on flank steak, chicken for taco's or fajitas I like it best on fish and shrimp for tacos and fajitas it's killer stuff.

Out of everything if you just wanted to try it out I'd buy the original sauce, buttery garlic and herb rub/seasoning and the mild BBQ rub would be a good starting point. They also make some great zero sugar sauces if you can't eat stuff with sugar in it.
Sounds good. Placing an order now.

View attachment 473435

I really wanted to try this but the shipping was almost the same price as the sauce. Hoping maybe they gave a holiday free shipping day.

I really wanted to try this but the shipping was almost the same price as the sauce. Hoping maybe they gave a holiday free shipping day.
This is a very small company, I don't know if they have specials. Maybe email and ask. For routine free shipping days, go to Big Poppa Smokers and sign up for email alerts. Once or twice a month they have free shipping with no minimum. Their selection of rub and sauces is huge. I've actually bought a $5 bottle or rub and it shipps free.

Reactions: tallbm

BUTTERY GARLIC & HERB
CALI'S BLACKENED RUB
MILD BBQ RUB
TEQUILA LIME RUB.

Santa ended up bringing me these.

IMG_20201225_080329319.jpg

Great idea for a wish list – exploring unique rubs, spices, and sauces from different regions can be a tasty adventure. If you're still on the hunt for recommendations, I've got a suggestion.
If you're looking for regional flavors, how about trying some Cajun seasoning from the South?
I recently stumbled upon something called Picture Frames Delivered. Now, it's not exactly spices or sauces, but it can add a creative touch to your culinary journey. Consider using custom Picture Frames to display your favorite recipes or food-themed artwork. It's a cool way to bring some artistry into your kitchen.

Last edited:
Let us know how you like the Kinders... we really like them! Got them as a gift from forktender forktender for winning the holiday lighting contest... two years ago I think.

Ryan

Great idea for a wish list – exploring unique rubs, spices, and sauces from different regions can be a tasty adventure. If you're still on the hunt for recommendations, I've got a suggestion.
I do my best to buy from local producers....Being right on the outskirts of Memphis, TN we have a ton of locals making rubs and sauces. Up for a exchange?

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky