Holding temps on a long cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newglide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
NC
I have an Old Country Pecos.
I've done a couple of butts the past few weekends and am finding the same issue on all the cooks.
I start off with a chimney full of lump, once it's lit I put it in the firebox and add a few splits.
Splits are about the size of a 16oz can give or take. I get it up to temp 250-260 and it goes like clockwork for about 4 hours.
Adding a few splits every 30 minutes or so. After about 4 hours it starts to taper down to 215-235. Having to fight to keep it around 235.
During this time the draw seems normal, keeping a thin blue line. I don't have a lot of ash but I do have a good coal bed.
After about 2 hours the temps start getting back to normal.
Can my coal bed actually be too big hindering airflow in some way and after a few hours it burns down enough to let it flow?

I would think bigger splits would help.
So after the temps fade after 4 hours or so switch to bigger splits?
I can give it a try.
I am seeing the temps come back after a couple of hours using the same size splits I was using.

So after the temps fade after 4 hours or so switch to bigger splits?
I can give it a try.
I am seeing the temps come back after a couple of hours using the same size splits I was using.
I wouldn't think the amount of ashes would affect anything in that period of time. The way you described your splits, I am just suggesting that perhaps making them a bit larger will help keep them burning longer and reduce the temperature drop. Also, you didn't mention what the wind conditions are, etc.

I did a cook the other day with gusty winds, and it makes keeping the temps consistent very challenging.

You might want to also check out this thread.

Reactions: Newglide
I wouldn't think the amount of ashes would affect anything in that period of time. The way you described your splits, I am just suggesting that perhaps making them a bit larger will help keep them burning longer and reduce the temperature drop. Also, you didn't mention what the wind conditions are, etc.

I did a cook the other day with gusty winds, and it makes keeping the temps consistent very challenging.
Thanks for the info.
The weather conditions don't stand out. I know this weekend was nice with low humidity and wind. The previous cook I know was a nice day but I don't remember if there were many differences in the weather, there could be.
Could be I need bigger splits. I tried to pay attention to the sizes this weekend but I guess it's possible I started using smaller splits when temp's started to fade.

Maybe try to throw 2 splits in every other (or third) time... this will help keep the coal bed built up ...

Are your splits lighting right away ??

Reactions: TNJAKE
I can't recall on the Pecos, do the coals and wood sit directly on the firebox floor? If so, that COULD be hindering the flow after a while and contributing here.

Maybe try to throw 2 splits in every other (or third) time... this will help keep the coal bed built up ...

Are your splits lighting right away ??
I may have to add an extra split.
I put my next in line splits on the firebox to warm up that way they will fire right up when I put them on.

I can't recall on the Pecos, do the coals and wood sit directly on the firebox floor? If so, that COULD be hindering the flow after a while and contributing here.
There is a grate the coals sit on that are a couple of inches of the floor.

I was cleaning it out last night and it hit me what may be happening. When I start my fire I put 2 longer logs running lengthwise in the firebox about 6 inches apart.
I light my chimney and when the coals are ready I put it between the logs then I put my splits in crossing the logs, kinda log cabin style. I'm thinking that when the temps start to fall off the logs are burnt up and the coals from them are done.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
There is a grate the coals sit on that are a couple of inches of the floor.

I was cleaning it out last night and it hit me what may be happening. When I start my fire I put 2 longer logs running lengthwise in the firebox about 6 inches apart.
I light my chimney and when the coals are ready I put it between the logs then I put my splits in crossing the logs, kinda log cabin style. I'm thinking that when the temps start to fall off the logs are burnt up and the coals from them are done.
Interesting. I have a grate also, but I just put the the lighted charcoals in by themselves and put splits on top of them to ignite. That has always worked well.

Last edited:
Does the area below your fire grate fill with ash? If so then try raising it another inch or so.

I always crisscross the sticks. I also never laid them flat on the coals. That smothers the coals. Another thing I have done is feed the thin edge of the sticks into the the coals.

Laying 2 sticks on the grates and filling in between them with coals should work fine. After all you want the sticks to turn to coals.

Does the area below your fire grate fill with ash? If so then try raising it another inch or so.

I always crisscross the sticks. I also never laid them flat on the coals. That smothers the coals. Another thing I have done is feed the thin edge of the sticks into the the coals.

Laying 2 sticks on the grates and filling in between them with coals should work fine. After all you want the sticks to turn to coals.
I think what you are saying is what he does already. I wasn't suggesting one should not do that. I was just saying I do lay the first splits directly on my coals. They light right up.

Really sounds like it is just your startup coal bed getting consumed, then you are adding (fighting) enough to reestablish a coal bed. The big initial bed is providing enough heat that isn’t getting replenished by the small splits. Throw a bigger split in every so often to help provide a buffer.

Just plan at 4 hr mark have a chimney of coals ready to go, no big deal. U also could keep some small Chunks and scrap wood pieces to add here and there to help maintain the coal bed. I had a 120 gallons reverse flow halfway through I had to add a chimney of charcoal no shame in doing that.

Just plan at 4 hr mark have a chimney of coals ready to go, no big deal. U also could keep some small Chunks and scrap wood pieces to add here and there to help maintain the coal bed. I had a 120 gallons reverse flow halfway through I had to add a chimney of charcoal no shame in doing that.
Yeah it looks like my initial coal bed is done and I need to replenish it.
Either like you say by adding another chimney after a couple of hours or by adding am extra or larger split every so often. I need a few more longer cooks under my belt to perfect my fire management.

I have a old wash tub that I build a fire in for long cooks. That I use for hot coals in smoker as needed. Temps start dropping toss a shovel in along with a chunk of whatever wood I'm smokin with that day.

I go the opposite of big splits. When I see the coal bed start to die down some I use smaller splits, coke can circumference. I’ll throw in 2 or 3 at a time depending on temp I want. A few rounds of that and your bed builds back up. If heat climbs a little I don’t get to worried about 50 degree swing up for awhile either. Overall I find burning the smaller circumference splits for the majority of the cook offer better heat control and coal bed in my 84D.

Reactions: Hijack73
I have a old wash tub that I build a fire in for long cooks. That I use for hot coals in smoker as needed. Temps start dropping toss a shovel in along with a chunk of whatever wood I'm smokin with that day.
Thanks

I go the opposite of big splits. When I see the coal bed start to die down some I use smaller splits, coke can circumference. I’ll throw in 2 or 3 at a time depending on temp I want. A few rounds of that and your bed builds back up. If heat climbs a little I don’t get to worried about 50 degree swing up for awhile either. Overall I find burning the smaller circumference splits for the majority of the cook offer better heat control and coal bed in my 84D.
Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky