Holding cabinet build thoughts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgolpmp

Original poster
Dec 10, 2022
I want to start making my own sausage and think I need a smoker upgrade. I currently have a weber smokey mountain and love it but think it might be too small for sausage.
I have a chance to purchase a holding cabinet for a steal.

crm-hl2-18-hl2-18.jpg

What are your thoughts about it? It says it can get to 190 degrees.
Would you convert this to pellets? Run on charcoal?
This is my first build so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Reactions: JLeonard
If the heater element/controls work, suggest just adding external smoke generator. Add ventilation and test cabinet air flow. Appears that box might have humidifier options also.
Just my 2 cents!

A smoke tube is what I would try, any other type of smoke/heat might make it hard to control the temps

Thanks for the replies

So would I be ok with leaving the heating element in the cabinet and using that to heat and maintain the temp and getting a smoke tube for the smoke?? I believe the cabinet has a max temp of 190f That would be perfect for sausage? And it also has the humidity addon

Thanks!!!

Andy

I’m not the best one to answer your questions, but I found this old thread that sounds like a similar situation. The guy never followed through how it went, but sounds like heating element was used and he had a pellet tray for smoke. Most discussion was on where to put ventilation and how.

None of the sausage recipies I have ever followed have required heat above 180* max to avoid 'fat out', and many are a bit lower. I'd use the element that's there and a smoke generator of some sort (amazen tube, tray, mailobox mod, or smoke pistol).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky