Warming Cabinet build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawakx125

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 9, 2019
Picked up a Cres Cor warming cabinet and converting it to a sausage smoker. It still works, the only thing I need to do is cut a hole for a vent in the top. Is it advisable to have a stack, or would a simple round vent such as this work ok? All i'm looking to do is keep a pellet maze lit and smoke sausage, highest temps around 175. I have a Yoder for smoking anything at higher temps, so this will be strictly a sausage smoking/jerky smoking/holding cabinet.

I did an Alto-Shaam holding cabinet smoker and I added an intake in the lower door similar to what you’re showing and a 3” close nipple in the top rear wall for exhaust. I’ve heard that you may get a condensation drip, ie: black rain, if you put an exhaust in he top of your cabinet. I run an AMNPS maze in mine and I’m sure that you’ll need some type of intake near the bottom of your cabinet so that the maze can get O2 to burn. These cabinets make pretty good smokers. Much better than a fridge conversion IMHO.

I was wanting to use the vent i posted a link to for a chimney opening in the side or top of cabinet. I would prefer to have the exhaust mounted flush with the top to not add any height to the smoker. There is a chance that this will be mobile, and as it is now it fits in the bed of my truck with tailgate closed, so don't want to add any height if i can get away with it. If it is better to have a stack for draft purposes, then i'll put one on, but i'd like something that closes completely and tightly as opposed to using HVAC parts for a damper

I think it would probably work. It’s basically what you see on a MES-type smoker, just larger. Again, I would opt to install it on the side vs top. You may just have to try it and see if it drafts ok and add a stack later if it doesn’t. My cabinet Is actually two smokers, an upper and lower. My top unit drafts good but my bottom not so good. This is with the 3” nipples in the rear sidewall. I’m going to add an ell and a length of stack to the lower exhaust to see if it helps. BTW, you’ll still need an intake on the bottom.

I agree... on the side (at the top) is best.. and then put the same thing on the bottom OPPOSITE side for intake (close to where you want to set your pellet tray/tube) .....

A side note.. what's up with the KX... race? ride ?? something different ??

Last edited:
Here are some pics of mine showing intakes and exhausts.

Front showing intakes
5942CFCE-6866-4F2C-AB5E-ACCDF0F5238C.jpeg

Rear showing exhausts
117EFA06-F00D-4024-A20E-5AB83BF487F8.jpeg

Exhausts closeup
04D751E2-A07F-4710-AB6B-1309F14D6317.jpeg

I will likely add additional intakes upper and lower to assist in draft but right now my AMNPS mazes burn very well with what I have. They sit right behind the intakes as Keith alluded to. I really have to improve the draft on the bottom unit. Upper is fine. I think because itis more exposed to the breeze. A lot of getting these conversions right is trial and error.

I agree... on the side (at the top) is best.. and then put the same thing on the bottom OPPOSITE side for intake (close to where you want to set your pellet tray/tube) .....

A side note.. what's up with the KX... race? ride ?? something different ??
Used to in my younger days, the username just stuck.

The cabinet is currently forced air, and has good intake vents below the heat source. I'm going to try it as is without additional holes at the moment and improve as necessary.

Good deal. Keep us posted on your progress. You’ve scored a really nice cabinet and if the OEM heating system ever craps out, you can throw a heating element and a PID in it and keep on trucking.

I'm not entirely certain that the heating element is up to the task of smoking sausage and/or how well it will hold temp. Not sure either how the forced air will play into things. Might cause the maze to continually catch fire. It is a 1500w element for a roughly 17 cubic foot cabinet. Literature says it will go to 200 degrees. Something to play with...definitely scored a deal on the cabinet, only giving 75 bucks for it. All seals and such are in good shape just needs a cleaning and the control panel reassembled.

Picked up a Cres Cor warming cabinet and converting it to a sausage smoker. It still works, the only thing I need to do is cut a hole for a vent in the top. Is it advisable to have a stack, or would a simple round vent such as this work ok? All i'm looking to do is keep a pellet maze lit and smoke sausage, highest temps around 175. I have a Yoder for smoking anything at higher temps, so this will be strictly a sausage smoking/jerky smoking/holding cabinet.

Should you decide you need a stack try ABS black plastic pipe for trial runs. It comes in various diameters and you can easily start long and cut the pipe down until you find what works (or doesn’t). Your temperatures are low so no chance of melting.

Currently has a 1500w heating element on 120V. Cres-Cor rates it at 200*. The fan is not working currently, and i'm not spending 200 bucks for a new one. It got up to about 175 yesterday before i shut it off, probably took the better part of half an hour-45min to get there though. Is it possible to wire in an additional hot plate or something for supplemental heat without having to plug 2 cords in?

Depending on the size of your 120v circuit (15 or 20 amp), you’re not going to be able to add much more load. Ideally, you could add a 240v circuit and add a 240v oven element with PID and SSR. Your current set up may work. Might just take a while to get up to temp and cook. Most holding cabinets are pretty well insulated. I wouldn’t worry about the fan.

175 is as high as i'd want it to get, it will strictly be for sausage/jerky. I figured out I do have a 20a circuit in the shop, and ordered an 1850w 120v element that should be a drop in replacement. I will verify wiring gauge and upgrade if necessary inside cabinet.

I bought it used on Ebay, but this is an equivalent. it is 2000W rated, but actually 1850W.

175 is as high as i'd want it to get, it will strictly be for sausage/jerky. I figured out I do have a 20a circuit in the shop, and ordered an 1850w 120v element that should be a drop in replacement. I will verify wiring gauge and upgrade if necessary inside cabinet.
Sounds like you have a plan. Keep us updated.

It is going on its trial run this weekend, i'm sure there will be more modifications needed. I am just going to run it using the existing thermostat for this first batch, and then once I determine if there is any changes needed for heating/venting I will go for a PID setup. I am curious to see how it will do with 50lbs of sausage in it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky