Hog casings - ever seen this??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bacon_crazy510

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
St Charles, MO
I made a batch of PS Seasoning # 443 ham sausage today. I added freeze dried chives and cheese curds to the recipe. I stuffed it in hog casings I've had, and used, with no issues in the past. It was chilly here today, and the temp wasn't coming up the way I wanted, so after 4 hours in the smoker I pulled them to vacuum pack them and finish them in a sous vide bath.

When I pulled them from the smoker I found a few of them speckled... Photo attached.

Have any of you seen this before? At first I thought it was fat on the surface, but no. It was dry. After the sous vide it disapated, but is still somewhat visible on a few of the links.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

20230211_180237.jpg
20230211_202758.jpg

I remember reading something about this somewhere in one of the books I have....But for the life of me I can't remember what the cause is. Now it's gonna bug me.....
You'll be digging through books all night now, lol.

Reactions: chopsaw
Yeah, maybe the curds. I chopped them by hand, and there was some curd "dust" in the mix. As for the casings, they were in a salt brine. I rinsed them several times, and flushed them several times as well. They also soaked in fresh water for about 18 hours, so I don't think it is salt. They smelled and stuffed normally, so I'm not concerned about any safety issue.

indaswamp indaswamp if you find that info I'm still interested! I'm going to dive in my Marianski books this morning and look too.

Thanks all!

Steve

Last edited:
Here are the curds I used. They have 135mg salt per 1 ounce serving. I used 10 ounces (10% of the 6.25 pound total weight of the batch) so that's only an additional 1.35 grams of salt.
20230212_071044-picsay.jpg
20230212_071105-picsay.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky