Hipshot Brats: Huge Success!! (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
As I had hoped, the hipshot brats were fantastic. Last Friday was the end of a really rough week so we were just enjoying hanging out on the pool deck, chatting, relaxing, and enjoying a cold adult libation. Neither of us were in a huge hurry for dinner so I decided to do a long, slow cook with a couple of the brats on the Weber. Got the charcoal going, put the lid on, and got the temp up to about 235. Put the brats on and just let them go while we continued a much needed state of relaxation. Just before Tracy logged off work I cut up some veggies and got them ready to simmer so all I had to do was turn on the heat.

Cabbage, taters, and carrots
001_Fotogenic.jpg

Add veggie broth, garlic powder, black pepper, minced onion, and crushed red pepper
002_Fotogenic.jpg

Brats defrosted and ready to go
003_Fotogenic.jpg

Weber heated up and brats on. Cooking low temp and indirect in hopes of them not exploding as they do over direct heat
005_Fotogenic.jpg

Flip after about 30 minutes. Color looking pretty good so far.
006_Fotogenic.jpg

Done. Objective achieved. They look really nice and no fat-out.
008_Fotogenic.jpg

Dinner plated with the veggies and a nice dollop of spicy mustard. Please note this was not done to make a pretty presentation. It was done to showcase and amazing color of the sausage
010_Fotogenic.jpg

Close up. I've cooked a lot of sausage but never seen anything like this
011_Fotogenic.jpg

The sausage was moist, tender, juicy and a nice little snap to the casings. The flavor was far beyond anything I had hoped for. Without doubt the best sausage I've ever made and Tracy agreed. She's still talking about these things and has come up with a couple different ideas for variations of different meals. For an off-the-cuff creation of meats and seasonings I couldn't have been happier and I still thank our good friend Ray ( sawhorseray sawhorseray ) for the idea based on his favorite burgers...well at least his wide's favorite burger :emoji_wink:

This one is a wrap. Thanks for dropping in and take care y'all.

Robert

Beautiful piece of work Robert! After seeing this someone just decided I need to make this sausage, reckon I've got a project! RAY

Looks great . That's the way to cook 'em . That's how my Dad did his , but with a chunk of apple wood . Never saw the direct heat . Just have to be careful when you take that first bite .
Nice work .

Looks pretty dang tasty Robert! Nice smoke ring and restraint not to break the skin

Just have to be careful when you take that first bite .

They were cool enough but the only thing we needed to be careful about is the juice squirting all over the front of our shirts :emoji_laughing: Appreciate the kind words Chop.

Nice smoke ring and restraint not to break the skin

Thank you sir. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've blown up sausage cooking over direct heat.

Looks Awesome, Robert!!
Nice Job Again!!

Thank you Bear, for the kind words and the like.

Looks great.

Very much appreciate it.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky