Hinkle Hatz; A New Challenge

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solaryellow

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
A friend of mine asked me if I could use some heirloom Hinkle Hatz peppers that they grow at Old Salem. I took all he had tonight. The plan is to smoke the majority for chili powder this weekend and turn the rest into a vinegar based pepper sauce while working on beans. They smell a lot like habaneros or scotch bonnets although the heat level isn't quite the same.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/83555/

Looks great!  Those ought to make some mighty good sauce.   
icon14.gif

Those look awesome Joel - nice score. I bet those are going to be tasty  

I am fermenting some and smoking the majority.

42e23a85-0cab-4049.jpg

42e23a85-0cc2-263a.jpg

Using Todd's pellet smoker....

42e23a85-0cf5-8c87.jpg

42e23a85-0d0a-6818.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Interesting pepper,let me know of the flavor after smoked Joel. Oh and don't forget to wash your hands good before you tinkle.

Last edited:
Interesting pepper,let me know of the flavor after smoked Joel. Oh and don't forget to was your hands good before you tinkle.
You're not kidding! I had to send my sous chef home once when I was a chef in Florida after he was chopping Habeneros and decided he had to take a leak! He was coiled over in pain...Ouch! 
icon_eek.gif

Interesting pepper,let me know of the flavor after smoked Joel. Oh and don't forget to was your hands good before you tinkle.
You're not kidding! I had to send my sous chef home once when I was a chef in Florida after he was chopping Habeneros and decided he had to take a leak! He was coiled over in pain...Ouch! 
icon_eek.gif

Heh Been there, done that.

All I can say is WOW! The first batch of pepper sauce came out so good that i had to start a second!

The ingredients :

42e23a85-2506-5ffa.jpg

42e23a85-2521-1508.jpg

Mesquite was a good choice of smoke for this pepper.

Last edited:
My coworkers alone drained a liter of this stuff last week. So I decided to make some more from the remaining smoked Hinkle Hatz.

42e23a85-e23d-114d.jpg

42e23a85-e249-d5da.jpg

42e23a85-e253-fab4.jpg

The ones I had been fermenting in the quart jars will get some smoke today along with some Hungarian peppers DanMCG sent me.

Looks good Joel, I might try the sauce thing next, I got to pick and smoke some peppers today.

Glad to hear ya got some peppers from the plants.

Just the basics.  I haven't ventured into creating my own BBQ or other sauces yet, and I was wondering what the process is like.  Basic ratios for the vinegar etc.  Looks like the ingredients were the peppers, onions, garlic, salt, brown sugar, lime and vinegar.  Is there a saute process that comes first, or do you throw everything in a blender and then just cook it down?  Like I said, I have no clue, but would love to know.

I know that for cayenne peppers, you can just put them in a jar with water, salt and some garlic and let them ferment for a couple of weeks then just blend them up for a basic hot pepper sauce, but yours looks like there was no fermenting.

Just the basics.  I haven't ventured into creating my own BBQ or other sauces yet, and I was wondering what the process is like.  Basic ratios for the vinegar etc.  Looks like the ingredients were the peppers, onions, garlic, salt, brown sugar, lime and vinegar.  Is there a saute process that comes first, or do you throw everything in a blender and then just cook it down?  Like I said, I have no clue, but would love to know.

I know that for cayenne peppers, you can just put them in a jar with water, salt and some garlic and let them ferment for a couple of weeks then just blend them up for a basic hot pepper sauce, but yours looks like there was no fermenting.

You pretty much nailed it. I threw it all into the blender and then brought it to a boil before letting it simmer for about an hour. I also fermented some and then smoked them last weekend. I haven't had a chance to turn those ones into hot sauce yet.

24 seeded, deveined, smoked peppers (the ones I used are pretty much between a jalapeno and habanero heat-wise)
2 cups cider vinegar
1 large white onion
2 TBS minced garlic
2 TBS kosher salt
1 TBS brown sugar
juice from 1 lime

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky