Hind qtrs. injected with STPP and Veg. stock

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Well, I did a test... I wish the pictures did justice to the moistness of the bird and great flavor from the veg. stock....
Baked, yes in the convection oven, at 325... about 1.5 hours until an IT of 175-180 was reached... When doing a recipe test, I don't add smoke.. I don't want anything to disturb the flavors of any additions to the meat... like smoke would do....
Injected about 5% solution of salt free veggie stock and 0.5% STPP ... Mrs. Dash sprinkled over the qtr...
Very flavorful and moist... If your chicken is boring, give this a try... You can add salt and sugar if you choose... I'm getting away from that stuff, if it fits...
My next test will be determining which of Todd's flavor pellets will kiss the bird... and for how long... probably a mix with about 20-30% mesquite for 2 hours...

005.JPG

006.JPG

Pictures came thru nice and moist on my screen Dave. Never tried STPP does it have any salty taste to it?

Chris

No salt in it... It has no flavor at all... It coagulates any moisture and doesn't release it keeping any meat moist... I use it in everything I want moist.... Sticks, ham, sausage, and poultry... Since I now cook the krap out of everything to totally eliminate the possibility of food poising from pathogens, it really keeps stuff moist....

stpp1.jpg . stpp2.jpg . stpp3.jpg stpp4.jpg . stpp5.jpg . stpp6.jpg . stpp7.jpg .

stpp8.jpg

Reactions: bdskelly
Looks plenty Moist from here, Dave!! Like.:)
Hate Dry Bird!
My first car was a '62 Lancer (140,000 miles) Slant 6, and I used about a can of "STP" per week until she died.:(

Bear

My first car was a '62 Buick Skylark... 215 c.i. V-8 that was a 4 seater... Loved that car until the tranny went out... one of those 2 speed automatics that sucked...

iu

Reactions: bdskelly
Nice looking yardbird Dave. Like! B

Thanks Brian...... Dave

Thank you.

Chris
You are welcome... anytime.. Dave
Looks plenty Moist from here, Dave!! Like.:)
Hate Dry Bird!
My first car was a '62 Lancer (140,000 miles) Slant 6, and I used about a can of "STP" per week until she died.:(

Bear
We're getting old Bear.... Dave
Dave them quarters look great from here
Richie
They are pretty good Richie.... Dave

Looks like a winner Dave. I have used Bird Booster, and I am guessing it has similar properties as STTP- Sodium phosphate vs sodium Tripolyphosphate?

I'll let Dave confirm but I believe they are not the same. Just did some chicken with a B&P brine that had phoshate and I really liked it. To firm your technique. Chicken weight+water weight equals total weight. Add 5% of the total in veggie base and add .5% total of STTP? Browneyes raises a question of mine: aren't "sodium phosphate" and STTP the same? Shouldn't it be STPP??? :)

When I inject stuff.... I do not use the weight of the water in the calculation.... because.... I figure the water will probably evaporate... most of it... and the ingredients I'm adding, I want the weighed amount in the meat... Like salt, cure, etc... Probably doesn't make sense but that's the way I do the injections..

About phosphates... Use the manufacturers directions...

As you can see from the list below, there are many phosphates used in the meat industry.... They are NOT the same...

STPP, Sodium Tri Poly Phosphate , The one I recommend... I chose it because, that particular brand it is Kosher.. Foods or additives that meet the criteria to be certified Kosher, are regulated to a strict standard... I prefer that standard, in some cases, to the alternative ..

http://www.academicjournals.org/article/article1380894469_Long et al.pdf

Phosphates in meat products.png

Reactions: zwiller
Did some chicken with a brine from B&P and it had phosphate and I am sold on it. I got some phosphate as well and used it at 1/2 the recommended rate on boneless breasts and it was a bit too much but still good but not entirely sure I dosed correctly. Confused over the difference between brine vs marinade. Any suggestions with dose? http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_215&products_id=760

Brine 6oz/G; 6/128 =.05
Marinade 2oz/25lbs; 2/400 =.01

Marinade.... 2 oz. per 25#'s of meat... I'm going to assume that indicates.....
Mix 2 oz. in an amount or marinade... which is usually a small amount of liquid.. maybe 4-8 ounces... like you might do for jerky so the flavors etc. are really concentrated.... or soak shrimp in the marinade etc..
2 oz. per 25#'s = 0.5% phosphate to meat ratio... 2/400=0.005 = 0.5%....
6/128 = 0.05 = 5.0% THEN you do a 10% injection to achieve a 0.5% addition to the meat.....
OR assume the meat absorbs 10% by weight of the brine... which makes no sense... different muscles absorb liquid brines at different amounts....
That's why I developed my injection method for curing meats...
Weigh out what you want in the meat.... dissolve it in 5-10% ,the weight of the meat, liquid.... and inject it all.... No questions about what entered the meat...

I'm thinking B & P is a somewhat commercial site and many things are taken for granted and not fully explained so everyday consumers may not fully understand the "partially explained" directions...

LOL. Made the mistake of using my work calculator for above math. It's a financial one so decimal places are off... Thank you. I really like your method, almost seems too easy which is why I am double checking. It's also fast and efficient/less wasteful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky