Hickory Smoked Tri Tip: Nailed It (A Few Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Some reason or another I didn't take very many pics for this one. Doesn't really matter though as it's a pretty simple dinner. Sunday was another screaming hot day so outdoor activities (like yard work) were very limited. That afforded me time to smoke a tri tip roast. I've done a couple of tenderloin roasts recently that came out beautiful edge to edge pink and just perfect. Decided I wanted to try that concept with the tri tip: mid 200's for a bit to set the bark then low temp finish.

The roast: 2 1/2 pounds
003_Fotogenic.jpg

Rubbed with a little Worcestershire sauce then seasoned with kosher salt and butcher's grind black pepper
004_Fotogenic.jpg

Onto the smoker at 3:00 and this is one hour later
005_Fotogenic.jpg

Sliced up some bread, brushed with my homemade garlic & herb infused EVOO then dusted with a spice mix with truffle, Parmesan, and black garlic
008_Fotogenic.jpg

Took an hour and a half. Here it is done and ready to slice
006_Fotogenic.jpg

Sliced and ready to serve. I got exactly what I'd hoped for. This time I actually paid attention to the grain direction and sliced it across the grain :emoji_laughing:
010_Fotogenic.jpg

Dinner plated up with a salad, the bread, and some noodles in an herb and cream sauce. Too hot to be out on the patio so eating inside.
011_Fotogenic.jpg

This thing cooked WAY faster than anticipated. I guessed about a 2 hour cook. When the IT hit 122 I shut the smoker down. At 125 I opened the smoker door to let the heat out. By the time everything else was done the IT was at 131. Ran about 40 minutes at 245 then dropped the smoker temp to 200 to finish. This was by far the best tri tip I've done. Excellent hickory smoke flavor, melt in your mouth tender, juicy, and simply delicious. I've become quite enamored with the smoking method I've used a few times. It's turning out some darned fine meat. Overall, a successful weekend of smoking: the pork ribs on Saturday and this baby on Sunday.

Not exactly my typical post but this was so good I had to post it, even though I somehow missed a bunch of pics. Thanks for dropping in and I'll see y'all again soon I hope. Time to go water some plants...oh joy!! At least we got a little break from the heat. It's only 101 today :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Looks perfectly cooked and delicious, Robert. I love TT but the Mrs. doesn't so we rarely have it. The whole plate is fantastic. Great work.

Love me some good TT and that looks awesome Robert!

I don't know how you deal with the tripple digits, too hot to do anything including going in the pool

Robert my friend, you've got that tri-tip perfected!! Absolutely perfect doneness for us, I'll take a plate please and that au jus on the board. Hopefully one day that stuff will become more available around me...

Man, that is beautiful! I’ve been using your technique of mid 200s to low almost exclusively since you posted that loin and it is incredible how amazing it makes the meat taste and look. Perfect! Hope the amazing protein helps your hair grow a bit faster😉🤣

Yup, you nailed that one for sure. Cooked to perfection and a nice looking plate. I haven’t done a TT in a while…hopefully I can get one going soon.

Perfect cook and beautiful plate Robert!
Now ya got wanting TT this weekend!
Congrats on the ride sir !

Keith

I think tri tip is the most forgiving cut of beef. Cannot count how many times a surprise fast cook took me over my cherished 121 up into the dreaded 130s but still tasting great. And you’re right about cutting it right. Every Californian knows how to cook tri tip but I not 10% know how to slice it. And when it looks that good it’s easy to forget the cutting part. Very nice work, again!

TT looks perfect Robert! I bet that was tender as hell. Especially cutting against the grain. Bravo, my friend!

Fine looking piece of work there Robert, good job! I can remember when tritip was referred to as 'poor man's prime rib roast', now it costs more in some parts of the country, crazy. 101º? That'd be a cold snap here. RAY

Reactions: MJB05615
Looks great, to many folks think you have to have burn marks on meat for it to be great, this post/picture proves you don't have to. Let the meat and seasonings shine without a burnt flavor sometimes, you might be in for a Suprise lol

Another beautiful plate Robert. Nicely Done!!!

Point for sure
Chris

This was by far the best tri tip I've done. Excellent hickory smoke flavor, melt in your mouth tender, juicy, and simply delicious. I've become quite enamored with the smoking method I've used a few times. It's turning out some darned fine meat.
I agree with everyone here, you did perfect.
I just can't do Tri Tips, first off wife won't eat med/raw, so I'd eat alone.
But second, I've never had one melt in my mouth, always too tough.
I can try your method and see.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky