Hickory Smoked Pork Belly with Crispy Skin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
And the Finale

Okay, this was the best PB I've ever cooked.
Better than the best Burnt Ends, just incredible.

Score skin in checker board pattern, you'll be using these cuts to slice it when done.
Dry brine skin and air dry in fridge for at least 24 hours.
Dry brine and rub meat, inject meat with a brine solution, at least 4 hours before cooking.
Smoker at 350° for 1.5 hours
Oven at 500° till skin is crisped
Lower heat to 375°
Transfer to deep baking dish and add sauce, about halfway up meat, do not go as far as skin.
Bake for 2 hours.
ZJxEfm3.jpg

orKwtjv.jpg

XF19Spe.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DrewJ and gmc2003
John you had me at the sauced pic and going into the oven, but the finished pic is out of this world.

Points for sure.
Chris

Hey Chile I just saw this and man it looks great. What is the brine solution you inject? I really want to try this.
Just a simple brine of Kosher salt and water.
Dry brine skin 24+ hours, keep in fridge uncovered to thoroughly air dry the skin.
Then dry brine/rub the meat 12 or more hrs. Then inject meat with brine 4+ hrs.
Careful to keep skin dry.

chilerelleno chilerelleno I have a 5-lb skinless pork belly. What would you recommend insofar as dry brining prior to hickory smoking since there is no skin to dry? I intend to use a simple dark brown sugar, salt, pepper, onion and garlic rub, unless you object?

chilerelleno chilerelleno I have a 5-lb skinless pork belly. What would you recommend insofar as dry brining prior to hickory smoking since there is no skin to dry? I intend to use a simple dark brown sugar, salt, pepper, onion and garlic rub, unless you object?
Skinless, no cracklins happening so no real need to dry brine.
Rub with love and do what ya will with it.

Reactions: Retired Spook
I have some pork belly that I want to add to my beans. Not going to do any curing or anything, just maybe in the smoker while doing some brisket then dice up and add to my beans.

Station One Smokehouse up here in Plainfield, IL, has a beans with pork belly that is very good. Trying to sort of emulate that. Oh, their Texas BBQ is very good, too, if anyone is ever up in the Chicago area.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky