• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hickory, maple, teriyaki, hi mtn bacon

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 7, 2006
This is our 5th bacon of this winters bacon project.  I used tq this time as the cure and for flavorings; first bacon I used maple sugar and maple syrup, second bacon brown sugar and hickory syrup, third brown sugar and teriyaki powder, fourth hi mtn bbb cure. 

We got two bellies, hubby skinned them and I trimmed them up and cut each belly into two pieces.  Three were 3 1/2 pound and the fourth was 4 pounds.  We got them cured up, bagged and into the fridge and cured for 10 days, due to time not the thickness of the bacon....

Into the smoker, we kept track of which flavor was which by marking with different number of tie ties.

Cold smoked for 56 hours, no heat at all, only the amns.  Outside temp only broke freezing the last day of the smoke.  This smoke seemed to take quite a while before I got the color change I look for...

Put back in bags to rest for a couple of days for the flavors to meld...

After resting for a two days I took them and threw them in the freezer to firm up for slicing.

Hitting the slicer!

Close up of the hickory

Maple bacon sliced up

Maple bagged up and teriyaki in pile in the back.

Hi Mtn bbb cured...

One thing that I noticed with this home made bacon is how fast it thaws.  It's really odd, it will freeze solid but then thaws in such a short time. It really makes the whole house smell wonderful when you fry it up.  Oh, we smoked this over hickory.  I think that's what I'll be using predominantly for bacons...

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Man o man that's a mountain of bacon. It all looks really good. Which one did you like the best?

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 7, 2006
Just got done a BLT with this bacon, half hickory, half teriyaki.  It was out of this world good!!

oliver

Joined Jan 22, 2011
Shell, That bacon looks awesome. I can't wait for me to do it someday. Hey that slicer is quite the slicer.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
AWESOME!!!!!

It might have taken awhile for good color, but you got as good a color as I have ever seen!!!  

That has to be the best you ever had-----It just looks soooo good, and everybody knows how much I dislike Bacon!    

Thanks for all the great Qview ShellBell

Bear

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 7, 2006
Shell, That bacon looks awesome. I can't wait for me to do it someday. Hey that slicer is quite the slicer.
Thanks everyone!  Bacon was awesome!  Tomorrow I hope to try the maple and bbb.  That slicer I got one heck of a deal on!  Got it for $125!  Mentioned to a friend that we were looking for a bigger slicer and a week later he found someone wanting to get rid of this one.  Works great but it weighs like 100 lbs!!

pineywoods

Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
Outstanding looking bacon and great deal on the slicer too

gotarace

Limited Mod
Joined Jan 27, 2011
That is some fantastic looking bacon there...I could go for 5 slices and three eggs right now. Congrats on a successful Bacon Bonanza, 

big twig

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 24, 2011
WOW that bacon looks great. I have to try my hands at making bacon soon. Now I want a BLT so bad. Thanks for the Q-View!

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
Your bacon looks FANTASTIC!

You serious about 56 hours of smoking?

I'm such a wienie, that I'm afraid it's oversmoked at 6 1/2 hours.  I see these posts for 12, 20 and now 56 hours, and now I'm gonna try smoking bacon for longer times.

Did you light one end or both ends?

How long did your AMNS smoke in the cold?

Todd

Last edited:

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
That is awesome looking bacon. Congrats on the great success. That slicer is looking good too

rw willy

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 7, 2008
Holy cow (Pig)!   Nice.  Need to order more before the weather changes.

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
Between the bacon and the slicer?  I am just jealous!

Good luck and good smoking!

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 7, 2006
Quote:
Your bacon looks FANTASTIC!

You serious about 56 hours of smoking?

I'm such a wienie, that I'm afraid it's oversmoked at 6 1/2 hours.  I see these posts for 12, 20 and now 56 hours, and now I'm gonna try smoking bacon for longer times.

Did you light one end or both ends?

How long did your AMNS smoke in the cold?

Todd
Hey Todd, I smoke it until I get that nice color change.  I've only been lighting one end, but maybe lighting both ends would speed up the process!  I'll have to try that next time.

irie

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 11, 2010
Man you guys have got me itching to try making Bacon and pastrami! This looks like it turned out amazing! How does the teriyaki bacon taste?!?

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 7, 2006
Teriyaki bacon was good! Not sweet, just a little Yaki flavor, kind of in the background. Will do again!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.